Is this a new tractor?

/ Is this a new tractor? #1  

eubie5

Gold Member
Tractor
kubota bx2380
So, say you walked in today and bought a tractor. You tell the salesman you want a new xxxx model, front end loader, mid mount mower, however you want it set up. You go back and forth on numbers and eventually come to terms. You write him a check, sign the loan documents, however you pay for it. He says, we'll deliver it in 5 days.
Guy brings it out, unloads it, and looking at the numbers on the tractor and the paperwork, the tractor is a 2018 model.
It only has .8 hours, it's never been bought before, but it's last years model. It's new, i guess, but seems like a ****** thing to do. I think the dealer should have told the guy it would be a 2018 model, even though the 2018 and 2019 didn't change. This happened to a friend of a friend, i don't know him. My buddy told me about it. He was upset, but i guess didn't raise much ****, because he kept tractor.

Or, is this no big deal?

/ Is this a new tractor?
I guess it's not a big deal. Just thought the dealer should have said, at some point, this is a 2018 we're talking about. Like i said, there were no changes or updates that i know of

/ Is this a new tractor? #5  
On tractors the year does not mean much. It has no Hrs on it so I would call it new. It really does not mean much when it comes to the value of the machine so just enjoy the new purchase.

/ Is this a new tractor? #6  
Kind of like the VW Dealer that sold a brand new VW Convertible Bug that sat in the showroom for 30 years... less than 10 miles on it.

It was sold with full warranty as it had been in inventory for 30 years!

Instead of a discount it sold for 3 times sticker...

/ Is this a new tractor? #7  
So, say you walked in today and bought a tractor. You tell the salesman you want a new xxxx model, front end loader, mid mount mower, however you want it set up. You go back and forth on numbers and eventually come to terms. You write him a check, sign the loan documents, however you pay for it. He says, we'll deliver it in 5 days.
Guy brings it out, unloads it, and looking at the numbers on the tractor and the paperwork, the tractor is a 2018 model.
It only has .8 hours, it's never been bought before, but it's last years model. It's new, i guess, but seems like a ****** thing to do. I think the dealer should have told the guy it would be a 2018 model, even though the 2018 and 2019 didn't change. This happened to a friend of a friend, i don't know him. My buddy told me about it. He was upset, but i guess didn't raise much ****, because he kept tractor.

Or, is this no big deal?

Yeah, the dealer should have made it clear that it's a 2018 model. However, nothing changed in the model year, it's only April of 2019, the warranty didn't start until it was delivered, etc... for all intents and purposes, it is a new tractor. If he got a good deal on it, and he's happy, he should just continue being happy. ;)

/ Is this a new tractor? #8  
I just bought a new tractor. It’s a 2019 but the loader was made in mid 2018. Unless there were changes, I’m fine with having a new loader that’s been sitting at the dealer for almost a year. If the tractor was a year old and sitting out in the weather the whole time, I might insist on having a newer one delivered.

/ Is this a new tractor?
Yeah, the dealer should have made it clear that it's a 2018 model. However, nothing changed in the model year, it's only April of 2019, the warranty didn't start until it was delivered, etc... for all intents and purposes, it is a new tractor. If he got a good deal on it, and he's happy, he should just continue being happy. ;)
Yep, pretty much my thoughts on it.

/ Is this a new tractor? #10  
This happened to a friend of a friend, i don't know him. My buddy told me about it. He was upset, but i guess didn't raise much ****, because he kept tractor.

I challenge your hearsay assertions.

Tractors do not have model "years". Compact tractors are assembled from components and parts manufactured in multiple countries. Most tractors contain components from at least four countries. In Asia, Japan, China, Thailand and India are large tractor component suppliers. It would be an infrequent, random event if all the tractor parts in a compact were produced in a single year, especially in the first half of a year.

Assembly line production requires considerable quantities of a given component to be assembled and inventoried until shipped to (multiple) customers on demand. Tractor producers monitor specs for parts, not what month parts are produced.

Kubota, for instance, exports Loaders and Backhoes for all its compact tractors worldwide from Georgia, USA.

My Kubota L3560 has an engine and transmission from Japan, Loader from Georgia and wheels from China. I suspect numerous engine and transmission components are imported from outside Japan before being assembled in Japan. Kubota has large manufacturing plants in Thailand.

Last edited: