Is there a safe way to pump gasoline into a plastic tank in the bed of a truck?

/ Is there a safe way to pump gasoline into a plastic tank in the bed of a truck? #41  
I don't know what you really gain by switching to larger fuel containers. 5 gallons is heavy enough to lift, IMO. The racing fuel style cans hold slightly more and claim that you can store more fuel in the same space, plus I think they are slightly more stable in transport. I fill them on the ground. The larger opening makes it easier for me to fill them without spilling any fuel.
Personally I don't use that much gasoline in cans.
For diesel, my little Ford has about a 5 gallon tank that will keep me moving for about a month or so, perhaps even more. So, a 5 gallon can works well.
My "new to me" CAT probably has a 50 gallon tank. It is a pain to climb up on the tracks and fill the tank. When I was refilling the hydraulic oil, I tied myself to the cab before dumping the bucket. It would be so nice to get a large pickup tank and just drive up to it and start pumping diesel. Plus, I might be able to find off road diesel that would save the fuel taxes. However, it is probably only a short term need, so no need to get a 1000 gallon fixed tank and delivery service.

/ Is there a safe way to pump gasoline into a plastic tank in the bed of a truck? #42  
I use a 150 litre (about 40 gallon) pony tank in the back of one of my trucks for gasoline.
It is a roto molded plastic tank called "Carrytank".
Certified in Canada at least for gasoline and DEF.
It came with 2 mounting plates to permanently attach to the bed, grounding cables that attach to the truck, 12v pump and inline water filter. I didn't get the flow meter though (wish I did)
Also has fork pockets to help put in and out of truck bed.

/ Is there a safe way to pump gasoline into a plastic tank in the bed of a truck? #43  
Personally I don't use that much gasoline in cans.
For diesel, my little Ford has about a 5 gallon tank that will keep me moving for about a month or so, perhaps even more. So, a 5 gallon can works well.
My "new to me" CAT probably has a 50 gallon tank. It is a pain to climb up on the tracks and fill the tank. When I was refilling the hydraulic oil, I tied myself to the cab before dumping the bucket. It would be so nice to get a large pickup tank and just drive up to it and start pumping diesel. Plus, I might be able to find off road diesel that would save the fuel taxes. However, it is probably only a short term need, so no need to get a 1000 gallon fixed tank and delivery service.
Go to Harbor Freight and get yourself a couple battery operated transfer pumps, they run on 2 D cell batteries and cost about 12 bucks each. I keep at least 2 in the shop at all times and I run them on Li-Ion D cells from Amazon though HF sells them as well as the chargers. I keep a couple charged up all the time on the shelf just if I need them.

They pump hydraulic oil just fine and gasoline and diesel (if need be as well). They poop out after a wile, usually last me a couple years and I toss them and get a new one. Much less than anything on Amazon btw. They put them on sale every once in a while for like 9 bucks each.

/ Is there a safe way to pump gasoline into a plastic tank in the bed of a truck? #44  
I buy outdated DEF in 350 gallon totes (it expires and if it freezes, it no good anymore) and I spray it on my hayfields for fertilizer because DEF is Urea and di-ionized water. It's usually around 35% Urea so I cut it 50-50 with water and spray it on. Makes an excellent Foliar Inoculant. Really makes my alfalfa grow. I usually return the empty totes to whomever I get them from as well.

I get the stuff from trucking companies or dealerships where it don't get used up. Problem is, a full tote weighs about 2500 pounds so you need a pretty large tractor with forks to move them around.

Just score a full 350 gallon IBC tote two days ago which is enough to last me this season. Gave the guy 300 bucks for it. 28 Urea is outta sight today and 45 granulated went from 18 a sack to 55 a sack because most of the urea comes from Ukraine and we all know what is happening there. Being a farmer (commercial hay grower) I have to be cheap to make money..

/ Is there a safe way to pump gasoline into a plastic tank in the bed of a truck? #45  
I would NEVER pump gasoline into a tank in the bed of a truck. It is a VERY DANGEROUS action to take.
Could you post a link to an article or news story detailing where this was an issue? I haven't been able to find any. Usually when a particular action is very dangerous, it's not hard to find a story about someone being injured or killed because of that action.

/ Is there a safe way to pump gasoline into a plastic tank in the bed of a truck? #46  
   / Is there a safe way to pump gasoline into a plastic tank in the bed of a truck? #47  
I have often used the gas tank in a vehicle to transport fuel. I connect a hose to the fuel pressure test port, put the other end of my hose where I want the fuel, then start the engine.

No lifting or extra containers.

Just stop soon enough you can make it back to a station for a refill.

/ Is there a safe way to pump gasoline into a plastic tank in the bed of a truck? #48  
I have often used the gas tank in a vehicle to transport fuel. I connect a hose to the fuel pressure test port, put the other end of my hose where I want the fuel, then start the engine.

No lifting or extra containers.

Just stop soon enough you can make it back to a station for a refill.

That sounds interesting...
Do all gasoline engine vehicles have this test port? Do you have a valve on the discharge to start and stop the flow? Inquiring minds need to know.

/ Is there a safe way to pump gasoline into a plastic tank in the bed of a truck? #49  
I tapped off my service van 34 gallon tank to fill my generator...

/ Is there a safe way to pump gasoline into a plastic tank in the bed of a truck?
Go to Harbor Freight and get yourself a couple battery operated transfer pumps, they run on 2 D cell batteries and cost about 12 bucks each.

I use those now, they don't seem to last me long though. I use them for both diesel and gasoline, and I may get 6-8 months out of them, maybe 50 gallons, 5 gal at a time if I'm lucky. They seem to leak fuel between the top and bottom, and then die rapidly after that. Probably had 6 in 3 years, all die the same way. They work, but the life span is frustrating!