Is there a safe way to pump gasoline into a plastic tank in the bed of a truck?

/ Is there a safe way to pump gasoline into a plastic tank in the bed of a truck? #51  
I use those now, they don't seem to last me long though. I use them for both diesel and gasoline, and I may get 6-8 months out of them, maybe 50 gallons, 5 gal at a time if I'm lucky. They seem to leak fuel between the top and bottom, and then die rapidly after that. Probably had 6 in 3 years, all die the same way. They work, but the life span is frustrating!
Try tightening the top where the batteries go to where the tube is real tight. As cheap as they are even I don't expect them to last very long. I get maybe a year of two out of them myself. About 1/3rd the price of the cheapest one on Amazonian.

/ Is there a safe way to pump gasoline into a plastic tank in the bed of a truck? #52  
That sounds interesting...
Do all gasoline engine vehicles have this test port? Do you have a valve on the discharge to start and stop the flow? Inquiring minds need to know.

All of them do not but many do and it can be added to others.

Most often they are a schrader valve. Open when connected, off when disconnected. Like the valve in your tires.

It is most likely on the feed line in the engine bay.

Something like this.

9F7F336A-2EAA-43E5-9B68-55DD2B8D5BA2.jpeg

Last edited:
   / Is there a safe way to pump gasoline into a plastic tank in the bed of a truck? #53  
Short answer, no, and yes if you use the trucks internal fuel tank. Gas doesn't give you a do over.

/ Is there a safe way to pump gasoline into a plastic tank in the bed of a truck? #54  
Like they say metal tank with ground or metal sheet in the bed with ground or stick to 5s on the ground. Fueled my airplane for 20 years always connected a ground wire.

/ Is there a safe way to pump gasoline into a plastic tank in the bed of a truck? #55  
🤔
They’re way down at #18.
USA is at #5
It all depends entirely where the entities that are buying it in bulk are having it shipped from. Usually bulk shipped in large ocean going ships and if it's a country where ocean shipping is an issue (like Ukraine for instance, then what they produce and what the actually export are 2 different animals and shipping it in bulk and having to transit the Suez (which is most of it) also becomes an issue so the price increases exponentially.

/ Is there a safe way to pump gasoline into a plastic tank in the bed of a truck? #56  
I use those now, they don't seem to last me long though. I use them for both diesel and gasoline, and I may get 6-8 months out of them, maybe 50 gallons, 5 gal at a time if I'm lucky. They seem to leak fuel between the top and bottom, and then die rapidly after that. Probably had 6 in 3 years, all die the same way. They work, but the life span is frustrating!
But they are cheap. I tend to get a lot longer life out of mine, usually at least a full year, I must be doing something you guys aren't doing or something. When I'm done with them, I always drain them completely and hang them vertically on a peg in the front shop and I make sure the lower section is quite tight against the upper section and.. I always have a couple on hand, just in case. For the price, especially when on sale, they are quite a bargain.

/ Is there a safe way to pump gasoline into a plastic tank in the bed of a truck? #57  
First, remember that your vehicle is setting on rubber tires (really good insulators). The ignition source of concern is the spark that might result from the difference in static potential between the fuel container and the pump nozzle. We’ve all experienced this from just sliding across the truck seat on a cold winter day and reaching for the door handle. That spark can ignite the highly volatile gasoline vapor.

For safety purposes, aviation fuel dispensing systems (100LL Avgas) provide a ground wire with a spring clip that is supposed to the connected to the aircraft frame prior to even removing the fuel cap. This connection ensures that the aircraft and fuel nozzle are at the same potential and no static discharge is possible. Since this ground wire isn’t provided at your typical Service Station, the only way to ensure your safety is set the fuel container on the ground or connect your own ground strap between the container and the pump frame. Some of us can get by without it for a lifetime but the risk is there every time we fill up.

In my area there is one chain that will not allow any containers to be filled in the bed of a truck that is not a “fuel tank”. I buy diesel in a 50 gal fuel tank that I slide into the truck as needed (that’s okay with them) and gasoline in a 55 gal metal drum. The metal drum is a hard no-go. Even though I have my own ground strap and I understand how to mitigate the hazard, they’d prefer I take my business down the road. I understand.

/ Is there a safe way to pump gasoline into a plastic tank in the bed of a truck? #58  
At my age, lifting anything into the pickup bed is a hassle.

I bought this electric receiver hitch jack to make it easier to carry my heavy electric bikes.

ecom_12_44_large.jpg
ecom_12_41_large.jpg

To carry gas cans, I remove the bike rack from the hitch jack and use a simple cargo carrier. That way, the cans sit on a metal platform which rests on the ground when filling.

ecom_12_45_large.jpg

The hitch is raised using a cordless drill or with the optional motor, which plugs into the 7 pin trailer connector.

Not a cheap option for just carrying gas cans, but in my case, it serves a dual purpose.

/ Is there a safe way to pump gasoline into a plastic tank in the bed of a truck? #59  
I have 1 military style can left. I don’t like them very well either. Seals fail often and they rust. I gave away the others. I have several of the plastic cans. I like them.
If there is a real safety concern I would switch back to metal cans though. Now that I opened this one after 2 years, the old fuel stinks! It reminds me of going to the junk yard. :) I suppose I’ll give this away as well.
View attachment 861805
I like the NATO style metal cans much better. Easier to pour out of - even without the optional spout.

Last edited:
   / Is there a safe way to pump gasoline into a plastic tank in the bed of a truck? #60  
I like the NATO style metal cans much better. Easier to pour out of - even without the optional spout.
Never seen them before. They look cool! Appears to be plastic. Good post, thanks. (y)
1713204950217.png

*edit-Stainless steel too! Food grade o rings for seals. Very cool!
1713205229492.png