Is it time to consider electric?

/ Is it time to consider electric? #41  
When I was still working in a machine shop we had to have foundations installed to set two huge CNC mills on. The contractors used deisel powered skid steers and stuff in the shop, made us all sick. I would have loved for them to be electric then! šŸ¤£

/ Is it time to consider electric? #42  
Not particularly cheap, but what is saving the planet worth to you?
Saving the planet from what? That's the least of our problems..

/ Is it time to consider electric? #43  

Apparently it is a mobile burn station / charging station. So you could have self recharging forestry equipment.

Not particularly cheap, but what is saving the planet worth to you?
Their advertising says you can feed it 10 tons of wood an hour, and makes enough electricity to charge 3, or 4 battery machines a day?
I donā€™t get it.
That sounds like a really inefficient somewhat, portable ( with a tractor trailer flatbed) wood chip generator plant.
They also claim no ā€œharmful greenhouse gases like methane ā€œ, but conveniently omit CO2
Nice

Save the world?
Really?

Last edited:
   / Is it time to consider electric? #44  
Their advertising says you can feed it 10 tons of wood an hour, and makes enough electricity to charge 3, or 4 battery machines a day?
I donā€™t get it.
That sounds like a really inefficient somewhat, portable ( with a tractor trailer flatbed) wood chip generator plant.
They also claim no ā€œharmful greenhouse gases like methane ā€œ, but conveniently omit CO2
Nice

Save the world?
Really?
I have to say that I didn't think their pictures looked super efficient. Whenever I see red flames out the top, that screams inefficient. Plus, it would depend on whether it is being used at an urban or rural jobsite. Fire Safety? And, of course, when one has a lot of CAD graphics and very few actual photos... vaporware?

As far as recharging, one would have to look at the actual numbers, and not just "machines charged". If it can push out a continuous 300 kW or so for recharging and jobsite power, that would be a LOT of power, and would be equivalent to burning a lot of diesel if working off grid.

CO2 for renewables is complex. If it is taken out of the renewable waste stream and put back into new growth, then that should be a net zero, if it is being managed with renewables (not burning diesel to harvest it).

The site discusses a couple of other things. Aerobic waste decomposition creates carbon dioxide equivalent to the amount of waste, albeit over time. Anaerobic waste decomposition creates methane (which it mentioned), so burying the waste creates methane which is a greenhouse gas, but eventually oxidizes in air to carbon dioxide and water.

The site also discusses "biochar". I.E. incomplete burning, and pushing the carbon rich soot back into the soil. Ideally one could convert hydrocarbons to water + graphite or other high carbon forms, without making carbon dioxide.

Of course the risk is to also produce carbon monoxide.

/ Is it time to consider electric? #45  
The whole thing is a rabbit hole, it is not what it seems to be. Welcome to the world of "saving the planet"

Last edited:
   / Is it time to consider electric? #47  
Power Trac's parent company Hydra power already makes an electric battery powered loader for coal mines.

I know a plumber who is using electric excavators. He loves them. Does alot of indoor work. Says one unexpected advantage is the ability to talk to the guy in the trench instead of yelling over the engine noise. His recharge by plugging into a regular 110v outlet overnight and gives him a day's run time. I believe he is on his 3rd year of running them. Not sure how the batteries are holding up.

/ Is it time to consider electric? #49  
2024_04_27_11.22.43.jpg