Is it time to consider electric?

/ Is it time to consider electric? #121  
Let us know how it works out for you.
Ok, for disclosure:

I've mentioned a few times. I do have an older EV minivan which I like. I also had an electric Lead Acid Ranger pickup in the past. A bit of floating boat action.
I'll probably get an EV full size pickup when age/price/performance meets my needs.
And I have a couple of electric chainsaws, and I'm impressed by the new Greenworks 60V and 82V 20" saws. I'm looking forward to the release of the future 24" 82V saw.
Oh, and then there is the battery push mower that I'll use some.

I don't have an electric riding mower. I very much dislike people always mowing 5 acre yards. The hum of mowers from all directions breaking up the country tranquility is aggravating. And I refuse to ride a little tiny rider round and round in circles.

I have a Toro 455d that needs some work with a 126" cut. And it isn't as impressive as I'd like.

My current project is to set up a Landini Trekker 60F as a rough terrain mower. While I'm a bit worried about the narrow footprint of the Landini, I'm anticipating that it will be able to mow much steeper than most other mowers on the market, including all of the Greenworks mowers, none of which are rated to mow a 25° plus rough terrain slope.

There are a few companies that are coming out with consumer grade zero turn mowers, including Greenworks, EGO, and John Deere. I may consider one of those except for my aversion to little tiny mowers going in circles all day.

I may have to hunt down a mower with 4 feet that will mow anything with a leaf or a stem!!

/ Is it time to consider electric? #122  
I would love to see Hay Dude's new kubota and the electric mower go head to head with this discussion group present, on the same patch of grass after they have both seen 500 hours of service. Give them both 8 hours time and at the end of the day pay them both by the acres they did. Of course a guy would have to discount the kubota's acres by the percentage that the machine is bigger.
Mine prediction: Hay Dude buys everybody supper and the electric guy buys a new gas mower.
According to Greenworks one would have to mow first then use theirs to get that 8 hour, 21 acre result ().
I like Greenworks and have their saws and a weedeater. I like quiet, simplicity and no fumes. Runtime is the problem. And to compare apples you have to consider everything.
If "Acme made 100% in America" sold a quality electric mower for $5-6K that you could actually cut tall grass, using it for say 8 hours on a charge and replacement battery was $500-$600...I'd buy one today.
When Greenworks says they don't sell the mower battery (???) but take it to their dealer, guessing $5-$7K...forget it!

/ Is it time to consider electric? #124  
Greenworks says they don't sell the mower battery (???) but take it to their dealer, guessing $5-$7K...forget it!
I can imagine some pretty heavy price depreciation with these suckers in the used market, when out of warranty.

I’m holding out for a Tesla zero turn mower.
Hopefully it qualifies for a tax credit 😉

/ Is it time to consider electric? #125  
I have a Greenworks 80v chainsaw that actually works well with about 20 minutes cutting time. I saved money by ordering from Walmart online a Greenworks 80v weedeater with battery and charger, free shipping that was on sale.

/ Is it time to consider electric? #127  
Always makes you wonder what happens if you have an electric ZT and you’re trying to finish and dischrage the battery out in the middle of nowhere.

In an ICE ZT, you just add fuel. In an electric ZT you just……….. :unsure:

/ Is it time to consider electric? #129  
Bring along a small gas generator. ;)

Then you only have to hump the thing out to the mower and wait a while for it to charge.
Yeah thats way easier than running out of fuel. :ROFLMAO:

Especially when it’s 90 degrees and humid.

Last edited:
   / Is it time to consider electric? #130  
If you are on a hillside when a battery powered ZTR dies, does it freewheel down the hill?