Is it possible to "clean up" my older generator's power for sensitive electronics?

/ Is it possible to "clean up" my older generator's power for sensitive electronics? #31  
Sola still makes power filter/stabilizers. They were used in the 80'2 to protect computer terminals and desktop computers. They are transformer based and weigh quite a bit. Common are 1200.1500 watt 120 volt units. Look on ebay or buy new. I saw a few on ebay for $100-%150

paul

/ Is it possible to "clean up" my older generator's power for sensitive electronics? #32  
Sola still makes power filter/stabilizers. They were used in the 80'2 to protect computer terminals and desktop computers. They are transformer based and weigh quite a bit. Common are 1200.1500 watt 120 volt units. Look on ebay or buy new. I saw a few on ebay for $100-%150

paul

I also used to use Sola Constant Voltage Transformers back around the late 1980s, early 1990's in industrial manufacturing plants to provide "clean" power to new digital technology control devices. Just had to make sure the grounds were properly made back to and at the transformers. After a few years, I didn't run into issues mostly because I shifted my specialty from servicing manufacturing floor equipment to servicing computer room grade equipment where "cleaner" power design and significantly more attention to grounding was needed at initial implementation.

/ Is it possible to "clean up" my older generator's power for sensitive electronics? #33  
They do make make clean power supplies for sensitive instruments. Cost as much good generator. Seen a few military surplus for radios. Bought many for work and hope I never need one for home.

Ran many different generators over decades for back up power. Haven’t hurt any electrical equipment yet.

Most dirty power is from the engine driving the generator not being stable, reacting to loads, fuel and maintenance issues.

Recently added pto generator option. Incorporated some inexpensive LED meters to monitor at generator and in the house. Hertz is as important as voltage. Simple extension cord mod lets me monitor power inside the house. Currently connected to the TV and associated electronics.
IMG_2889.jpeg
IMG_2907.jpeg
IMG_2901.jpeg

/ Is it possible to "clean up" my older generator's power for sensitive electronics? #34  
They do make make clean power supplies for sensitive instruments. Cost as much good generator. Seen a few military surplus for radios. Bought many for work and hope I never need one for home.

Ran many different generators over decades for back up power. Haven’t hurt any electrical equipment yet.

Most dirty power is from the engine driving the generator not being stable, reacting to loads, fuel and maintenance issues.

Recently added pto generator option. Incorporated some inexpensive LED meters to monitor at generator and in the house. Hertz is as important as voltage. Simple extension cord mod lets me monitor power inside the house. Currently connected to the TV and associated electronics.View attachment 833617View attachment 833618View attachment 833619
Where did you get the meters?

/ Is it possible to "clean up" my older generator's power for sensitive electronics? #35  
What you're describing is the typical behavior of cheap consumer-grade UPS's, and yes, I have a half dozen of them. They work fine on home power, as they're not toggling back and forth every few seconds. Like you, I suspect the contactor/relay would give out after awhile on one of those, if run on anything with really unstable voltage.
The UPS's I was referring to were enterprise level rack mount units, not some Staples/Walmart special.

/ Is it possible to "clean up" my older generator's power for sensitive electronics? #36  

paul
I actually have one of these in one of my racks of audio equipment, protecting a Crown amp and mixer. Interesting piece of kit, it will actually draw over current to maintain constant voltage output. Mine was also likely made late-1980's or early-1990's.

/ Is it possible to "clean up" my older generator's power for sensitive electronics? #37  
The UPS's I was referring to were enterprise level rack mount units, not some Staples/Walmart special.
That's a BS marketing term. I am sitting next to three APC Back-UPS Pro's, sold as "enterprise level" UPS's, marketed by APC for connected to the workstations and servers I use for my business. They're still junk, relying on a contactor to switch between battery and mains, rather than constant inverter output isolated from the mains. In your own words, they " are not very tolerant of ratty input power." Completely different product and market than online UPS's described on prior pages.

/ Is it possible to "clean up" my older generator's power for sensitive electronics? #40  
Amazon. About $5ea. 7/8” hole for panel mount.
What is the brand? If they have a DC model it might be nice on my older tractors to monitor the battery/charging. So much nicer than trying to tell if an analog gauge has moved.