Is country line stuff any good compared to land pride?

/ Is country line stuff any good compared to land pride? #41  
I read on the Internet that 87% of sarcasm is misunderstood on internet forums. Of course, I also read that 43% of statistics posted in forums are made up. :)
Sounds to me like the mainstream media and printed newspapers... Why I like Dan Bongino. He always backs up his statements with 'receipts'...

Myself, I take every comment on here concerning supposed stats with a grain of salt as it's usually the posters opinion and don't necessarily reflect the true facts.

In my case it's not an opinion, Kubota owns Great Plains Manufacturing and Land Pride is a wholly owned trade name of Great Plains.

/ Is country line stuff any good compared to land pride? #42  
I also know (from first hand experience) that shredders (brush hogs) take an inordinate amount of abuse as I abuse mine regularly so I prefer having one that will take my abuse without failing. Why I have a pair of Land Pride shredders. One 7 foot 3 point mount and one bat wing.

For me, a cheap Chineseum shredder would soon fail. I flog them and I flog them hard too.

/ Is country line stuff any good compared to land pride? #43  
I'm sure that does happen, but I consider myself a savvy buyer, I do my homework, and I'm telling you the brands of "tools" I buy, I buy because they are better built and hold up longer. I base MY purchases on my experiences, and I'm willing to pay more to get a tool that will last longer for me.

I have no idea what is going on with those that get duped, buy cheapo tools and in many cases, buy low quality to save a few $ just to have to work on them later.

SR

You said, " I base MY purchases on my experiences, and I'm willing to pay more to get a tool that will last longer for me."

The problem is our knowledge comes from experience. And those are things that are learned, not something we are born with. Usually we learn them from making the very mistakes we then learn to avoid. Sometimes the best way to avoid paralysis is just make the mistakes.

Otherwise, having a friend who is experienced is a also good way. The internet probably not.

rScotty

/ Is country line stuff any good compared to land pride? #44  
I don't know anything about Country Line. I do have a Land pride rfm (FDR 1672) and it has been flawless over the last five years. I have a short mowing season here so it doesn't get a lot of use (7 acres about 3-4 times a year). I use it to cut field grass on mostly hillside. My only complaint is that I'm starting to lose chunks off the edges of the solid wheels because of how rocky my land is.
We have very similar equipment, with the difference being the usage. Here in KY we mow every two to three weeks from May through September. I have the FDR 2572 and pull it with a TC33. I have about 300 hours mowing over the last four years. I mow my neighbors place 5 or 6 times a year as well. It is heavy, and built to last. The tip speed was the fastest in it's class. I found mine used at a local dealer for about $800, four years ago. Had them go through the entire machine and service it, replace two of the pneumatic tires, and replace the belt.

The one thing I would recommend is checking the gearbox for wear and metal in the gear oil. Mine has been problem free. I have been beyond thrilled with the Land Pride machine.

/ Is country line stuff any good compared to land pride? #45  
I bought a used Woods 72" mower 4 years ago for about $1200 and it is indestructible. I keep it greased and sharpen the blades every year. I mow about 4 acres at least weekly from early May to October. You might be better served to look for a well-cared-for used mower. You could save a lot of $$$.

/ Is country line stuff any good compared to land pride? #46  
I've had an 84" First Choice rear discharge finish mower for 20+ years.
Its been a really good mower. (made by Sicma in Italy). Same mower a Phoenix branded mowers
Parts are easy to get online.
I had a Land Pride AT 2572 side discharge for a couple years, I rarely used it, I liked my First Choice mower better so the Land Pride is gone

Last edited:
   / Is country line stuff any good compared to land pride? #47  
Or, companies charge higher price to give the illusion of higher quality.

I can attest to that. I bought my Kubota in 2008. Wanted a 48" tiller to go along with it. Dealer wanted to sell me a Gearmore (very common expensive brand sold by tractor dealers in California) for $2300. I balked, and went looking for something else. TSC had a KK for $1100, but did I really want to buy some low quality cheap piece of junk? Then I noticed a few things about the KK and Gearmore. The first was that the brochures for each listed the same 4 available sizes...and they each had the same number of tines...and they each weighed the same...and they each had the same HP requirements. Then I found the parts diagram for both. Identical! Even the part numbers. The only difference between these two tillers was the PTO shaft and the paint job. They were both made in Italy by the same company. Needless to say I went with the KK and have been very happy with it, although it doesn't get a lot of use so I can't really attest to its durability.

Last edited:
   / Is country line stuff any good compared to land pride? #48  
Needless to say I went with the KK and have been very happy with it, although it doesn't get a lot of use so I can't really attest to its durability.
That describes many of us. Spending more for a top of the line implement is like buying Snap-On tools. Sure, they are better but I don't use them enough to justify the price.

/ Is country line stuff any good compared to land pride? #49  
Identical implements branded differently seem to be far more common in these days of constant acquisition.

I have a roll-over box blade that's branded Rhino Ag, but if you look at the Dirt Dog or Bush Hog the only difference you'll find is the sticker that claims what the brand is. Same yellow paint, same model number, etc. So, now it comes down to which dealer will give you the best price.

I got lucky when I bought mine. A new one was quoted at $1200 over the one that had been sitting at another dealer's lot for a couple of years. Buying used might have been an option but ROBBs aren't common and I had to educate the first salesman about what one even was.

I wouldn't use a branded casting with the manufacturer's name as proof that it's made in country. If you're willing to buy at quantity or commit to a several-year contract many suppliers will be willing to accommodate by putting your name on their equipment.

Even history with a brand doesn't work these days as the ownership of the company or sometimes just the name gets passed around like a hot potato. i.e top tier names I no longer trust; Kitchenaid, Jennair. Sure they still make some quality stuff, but some of their offerings are Chinese junk that has nothing in common with the parent company beyond the brand name.

This is an excellent forum to get experienced information. But, do your due diligence. Set your price range, decide how often you'll use the device, determine if you're willing to buy used or not, get as much information as you can, and actually go look at the stuff if possible. Other factors are; is it repairable, are you able to repair it, are parts easy to come by, does the model change often, and can my tractor handle/use it?

So far I've had good luck with Woods, Rhino Ag, Armstrong and Lane Shark. But I'm not a heavy user and I mainly use my equipment to maintain trails and do timber work.

I hope you find what you're looking for.

/ Is country line stuff any good compared to land pride? #50  
Does Land Pride make any claims as to the source of their parts? I can only find claims of final assembly in the USA.
Every part on my tiller that failed - and the replacement parts from LandPride - were made in China.