Is a subcompact under 25hp enough power?

/ Is a subcompact under 25hp enough power? #81  
No!! I have a JD 3025E. I just spent 2 weeks discing, tilling, packing, planting grass seed and pulling a drag harrow around my 5 acre yard. i had to borrow a bigger tractor to pull the 16’ disc, then used my tractor on the smaller implements. Others have suggested this. If you have all the time in the world and don’t mind being beat to death a smaller tractor is ok.
Attached are some pics of the yard right before seeding.
I wish a thousand times mine was a minimum of 50hp.
You know the advantages of more HP, please don’t go small.

Of course you had to borrow a larger tractor to pull a 16 foot disc; the proper size for a 3025E would be between 6 and 8 feet.

/ Is a subcompact under 25hp enough power? #82  
TN8Man: believe you made a wise purchase. being a compact forum, there are countless threads of either wishing one had gone larger, or how to exceed the safe limits on tasks meant for a larger machine. done yourself good on this one, regards

/ Is a subcompact under 25hp enough power? #83  
Sub-compact tractors are typically classified as tractors with engines under 25 hp, while compact tractors have engines with more than 25 hp and less than 60 hp. Most sub-compact tractors offer mid-mount mower attachments, which are mower decks mounted between the front and rear axle, like on a garden tractor.

willy

/ Is a subcompact under 25hp enough power? #84  
Throwing my 2 cents in (somewhat late): The difference between a BX and B 23 horse is pretty big, I have the B-2301, my neighbor has a BX; big difference between the two. His my be a bit nimbler, mine will pull harder. With loaded tires, the B 2601 handles the loader and anything else I've asked it to do...and it still runs a mid-mount mower.

/ Is a subcompact under 25hp enough power? #85  
It all depends on how much time you have to get the job done. Personally, I like to have options because sometimes (like on the weekends) I’ve got plenty of time. Not so much before and after work on weekdays though.

I’ve got 34 acres to maintain, along with a house, a barn and a couple of driveways. I use (5) tractors for that, including (2) 15 hp lawn tractors (one gear one hydro) strictly for mowing about 1 acre of grass around the buildings (remainder of property is about 1/3 wooded and 2/3 open fields).

My other tractors include a 10 hp Farmall Cub, 28 hp Ford 8n, and a 43 hp John Deere 4120 (I’m not “color blind” but I am Country blind and that’s the American “big 3”).

Since I really enjoy my “tractor time”, I’ll usually pick the smallest tractor for the job, that my available time allows. For example, I can clear a foot of snow from our (2) driveways in 15 minutes with the 43 hp JD, or take 45 minutes doing it with the Cub.
IMG_4243.jpeg

IMG_3827.jpeg

/ Is a subcompact under 25hp enough power? #86  
I'm not saying people should do this but when I was looking at Kioti 2520 tractors I saw these videos ...

I also had the woodland mills grinder and it is a good machine but it this video they are only grinding old rotten stumps there is a big difference when you grind a fresh cut stump it takes a lot more power and a lot longer. If you only have a few small stumps it will work fine but if they are bigger it needs more power.

/ Is a subcompact under 25hp enough power? #87  
"Lawnmower and nothing else" is a little harsh, lol. I cut a flat spot for a 16x24 shed out of a hillside made of clay & rock with a Kubota BX1880. It wasn't fast, but totally up to the task.

That said, if I had several acres to maintain I'd probably move to a B or an L for speed & capacity purposes. But the little BX works well for my billy goat mowing needs and projects.
1712152104465.jpeg
1712152232752.jpeg

1712151864842.png

/ Is a subcompact under 25hp enough power? #88  
Is a subcompact under 25hp engine enough power to maintain a under 15 acre property where the tasks are mowing w/ mid mower, finish mower, brush hogging, stump grinding, hole digging, box blade and typical loader work?

I have owned a 35hp and 50hp so I'm a little uneasy getting an under 24hp.
I have ten acres and I had a John Deere 3520 that was just to small so I upgraded to a John Deere 4320 which is adequate for what I need to do. It is 48 HP. I really think 25hp is way too small for fifteen acres.

/ Is a subcompact under 25hp enough power?
Here it is

Attachments

• TYM.jpg
    TYM.jpg
    908.8 KB · Views: 30