Is a subcompact under 25hp enough power?

/ Is a subcompact under 25hp enough power?
I had a 37hp JD that I ran a stump grinder with and it was just barely enough power or weight for the job?
I'm not saying people should do this but when I was looking at Kioti 2520 tractors I saw these videos ...

/ Is a subcompact under 25hp enough power? #72  
Congrats on the decision. Everything is a compromise.

I've got the turbo version with open station. I figured I might need the extra PTO HP and the turbo was worth the risk and the extra 1500 bucks. On my place, a bigger tractor would just catch more branches.

Need to get a brush guard. Homestead makes one to fit. I'll probably buy local as my neighbor has a custom welding business.

Congrats on the decision. Everything is a compromise.

I've got the turbo version with open station. I figured I might need the extra PTO HP and the turbo was worth the risk and the extra 1500 bucks. On my place, a bigger tractor would just catch more branches.

Need to get a brush guard. Homestead makes one to fit. I'll probably buy local as my neighbor has a custom welding business.
Thanks!

For my needs the Kioti NX5010 was overkill and so is the T494. I was looking at the series 2 T474 but splurged a bit to get the bigger series 3 T494 with much better specs. The difference in cost for the T574C wasn't that bad but I just could not justify the extra cash if the T494 was overkill for my needs. This was a cash deal so more scrutiny on cost.

With my NX cab I would always cutback branches in the area I was going to work.

/ Is a subcompact under 25hp enough power? #74  
Is a subcompact under 25hp engine enough power to maintain a under 15 acre property where the tasks are mowing w/ mid mower, finish mower, brush hogging, stump grinding, hole digging, box blade and typical loader work?

I have owned a 35hp and 50hp so I'm a little uneasy getting an under 24hp.
I have been using a Kubota BX 1870 for snow and brush mowing. The top link on this size machine can’t handle heavy work like plowing snow in reverse or pushing the brush mower into light thickets. I would have bought an L series had I known that. Ground clearance is also too low.

Great tractor though.

/ Is a subcompact under 25hp enough power? #75  
Is a subcompact under 25hp engine enough power to maintain a under 15 acre property where the tasks are mowing w/ mid mower, finish mower, brush hogging, stump grinding, hole digging, box blade and typical loader work?

You can do all that stuff it’ll just take a bit longer. Which personally I enjoy, what’s the hurry. Always a good day to be outside on the tractor

You can do all that stuff it’ll just take a bit longer. Which personally I enjoy, what’s the hurry. Always a good day to be outside on the tractor
Agree! Being outside on a tractor or a mower is my deep thinking platform.

/ Is a subcompact under 25hp enough power? #77  

I have owned a 35hp and 50hp so I'm a little uneasy getting a under 24hp.
I have a Kubota BX2380 (21.6 HP) and a Kubota L2501 (24.8HP). I am amazed at both.

The BX2380 has a 5 foot mowing deck and a quick release front loader. I often hitch up a 5 foot bush hog or a 5 foot scraper. Probably shouldn't but they work ok with light duty jobs.

The L2501 Has a front loader and a backhoe. It is quite a beast to be such a compact tractor but is a VERY capable machine. One drawback when using the backhoe attachment is I have to remove the 3 point hitch.

I have 25 acres

/ Is a subcompact under 25hp enough power? #78  

No!! I have a JD 3025E. I just spent 2 weeks discing, tilling, packing, planting grass seed and pulling a drag harrow around my 5 acre yard. i had to borrow a bigger tractor to pull the 16’ disc, then used my tractor on the smaller implements. Others have suggested this. If you have all the time in the world and don’t mind being beat to death a smaller tractor is ok.
Attached are some pics of the yard right before seeding.
I wish a thousand times mine was a minimum of 50hp.
You know the advantages of more HP, please don’t go small.

Attachments

• IMG_7915.jpeg
    IMG_7915.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_7914.jpeg
    IMG_7914.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_7916.jpeg
    IMG_7916.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 27
   / Is a subcompact under 25hp enough power? #79  
As I have posted before. I have managed my hilly 80 acre tree farm for 40 years with 25 HP (or less) tractors, including a Ford 1700, Kubota b7100 (13 HP), JD 3005 (current) Kubota B2710, and Kubota B2650 (current). I prefer R1 tires for the hills during mud season. I mow over 10 acres each summer with a four foot bush hog in places where a bigger tractor would not fit. I yard substantial logs - anything I am comfortable with falling. I haul everything I ever need to haul. I pull trailers. I use a box blade. 15 acres would be well served with a small tractor. I would go midsize, like a kubota B series rather than the BX size. I wouldn't go heavier unless you already have a trailer and truck capable of loading it out.
MF

/ Is a subcompact under 25hp enough power? #80  
I wouldn't attempt any of that with a subcompact, I have a compact (26 hp) and I wish it was larger because the pto is not rated at 26 and you can't find a generator that will work on that low hp.
You can dig holes and I moved and leveled 800 yards of fill dirt, but still wished I had at least 30 hp at the pto.
The weight of the tractor is a little scary could be heavier.
A subcompact is a lawnmower and nothing else.