InvisibleFence brand GPS containment???

/ InvisibleFence brand GPS containment??? #1  

LD1

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota MX5100
Anyone have any experience with their system?

If I understand it correctly, a tech comes out, basically surveys the property, programs the collars, and that's it. No wires, and no circular boundaries like wireless devices.

Wondering if anyone has this, and what it cost. And if anyone other than invisiblefence brand offers similar.

I am looking to do something different for my 2 dogs. At my old house, I had an innotek 2100 system. (I think it was the 2100). It worked very well. Waterproof collars. Rechargeable by simply setting the collar on top of the unit. Charge lasted months. And gave a stout enough correction the dogs didn't like it.

After selling the house, knowing I would be staying at my parents for a month before moving into my new house, I purchases a havahart radial shape 2 wireless. Figuring I didn't want to burry any wires at the new house until I get the shop built and pond reworked.

Well, it sucks. Sometimes it gives correction sometimes not. And the highest correction level is little more than a tingle. Think half dead 9v battery on the tongue.

I have had to go back to the innotek with the wire just laying on top of the ground for now.

Hopefully someone knows how good these GPS units are and an approximate cost. It seems all the technology is available and quite affordable now.

/ InvisibleFence brand GPS containment??? #2  
No experience - but a question:

I had considered using a system like this but wondered ...

If a dog was excited, perhaps by another passing animal, would it not simply run through the shock?
Once outside the perimeter, and no longer excited, would it ever cross back over?
And, how does it protect your animals from an aggressive stray that might want to come in and kill them?

/ InvisibleFence brand GPS containment???
My understanding of the GPS system is there is no run through. They are only safe within the safe zone, and will continue to revieve intermittent corrections whenever they are out of the safezone until they return. Unlike a wired system that is possible to get through, on a GPS, the correction zone is limitless.

As far as something else entering the zone, it is no different than any other type of invisible fence. In that it offers no protection.

Fortunatally, in my area, there isn't much to worry about. VERY few coyotes are the only predatory animals in my area. And they seem to keep their distance

/ InvisibleFence brand GPS containment??? #4  
Looks like the Border Patrol TC1 is $600 and does what you are looking for.

I looked at those before I bought the wireless. I don't think those are a true GPS mapping. Not sure. But the 12-24 hour battery life was unacceptable to me.

/ InvisibleFence brand GPS containment??? #6  
My understanding of the GPS system is there is no run through. They are only safe within the safe zone, and will continue to revieve intermittent corrections whenever they are out of the safezone until they return. Unlike a wired system that is possible to get through, on a GPS, the correction zone is limitless.

This sounds like it would take a lot of training for the dog to understand. Could be very abusive .

/ InvisibleFence brand GPS containment??? #7  
kidr said:
This sounds like it would take a lot of training for the dog to understand. Could be very abusive.
Not much training needed if the dog has any brains and you do it right. You put flags near the zone edge and the dog learns quickly not to go past the flags. My cousin has 3 homes, invisible fence w/flags at their primary home. At their other homes they just put up the flags (no invisible fence system) and the dog stays within the 'flagged' zone. It works very well for them.

OP- my neighbor was looking into a GPS based fence system for their dog, when I get home this weekend I will see what, if anything, they did.

/ InvisibleFence brand GPS containment??? #8  
I have 6 German Sheps all are obedience titled and two are tracking titled. Invisible fence does not work for us. For some dogs it will work fine but ours revert to wolves when they feel their territory or people threatened. We worked long to train them to the fence but have up and installed 5 ft chain link. We also found need to fence out skunks, foxes and coyote.

I have no need to fence anything out. Nor do I want to. There is no need to try to sell me on the pros and cons of an invisible fence. I have had these dogs on them for the last 8 years. I am only asking about the GPS based fences in comparison to a wired fence, how much they cost, how well they work, etc.

To me, having a dog chained up or in a 10x10 kennel is abusive. I want to give the dogs the freedom to roam my 8.5acres and pond.

I am not gonna break the bank to put up a mile of unsightly fence that also limits my access.

IXLR8: looking forward to what you find out from your neighbors. And if they went forward, how they like it and how expensive it was. And if they didn't, what was their reason for not doing GPS.

/ InvisibleFence brand GPS containment??? #10  
I tried a wire system years ago, but it didn't work well. As long as the dogs, both 100 lbs plus sherpard mixes, had no stimulation, they stayed in the yard. If they saw something to chase, nothing was gonna stop them. As they passed by the wire, they would snarl and snap, but keep running. We tightened up the collars, even shaved the dogs necks, ( my wife owns a grooming shop ) but it just wouldn't stop them. The fence folks gave us the money back. It might work better if the dogs were young when they were trained, but both were over a year old. The big attraction to these guys was the KOA type campground about a mile away. If they got away, I'd usually find them there, going from campsite to campsite, begging. Kids loved them, and people would cook hamburgers and hot dogs for them! As long as one of us was outside with them, they were ok, but I couldn't just kick them outside. I eventually fenced in about 2 acres for a backyard. I worried about them getting harmed or harming somebodies dog, cat or livestock. Good fences really do make good neighbor's. And I never worry about a battery charging or not.