Introductions and 3pt Tiller Reality Check

/ Introductions and 3pt Tiller Reality Check #11  
Perhaps the KingKutter XB series would be a good place to start. They have a pretty good reputation, and are designed for smaller sub cuts, and would likely work on your JD. They are available around here through the Tractor Supply Company (TSC). One local JD dealer had a new hydraulic tiller deeply discounted since it has been around for a while the last I knew. Hmm, just checked KK's web site, and the tiller is close to the max weight for you..... here's a link
King Kutter Incorporated

/ Introductions and 3pt Tiller Reality Check #12  
I've gone through similar growing pains... from Simplicity garden tractors to a Kubota SCUT and then a Power-Trac PT-425. I kept the Simplicities all the while (though I did own one with a factory FEL for a while, then sold it) because I have a 1/2 lot and the larger machines were for prepping my 5 acre retirement site. It took me two tries there (actually three, because I originally thought the Simplicity with FEL wight be of value) to get the right equipment package for my needs.

I've had a 32" tiller for the garden tractors and now have a 46" (actually a 36" plus optional tine extensions). I find it is of limited value on my 1/2 acre lot, and is only used twice a year at most, for prepping my garden in the spring and tilling things under in the fall, as stated in a different thread. I use my 16" Troybilt Pony far more in the garden because I can cultivate with it, once planted.

My advice would be forget the tiller for now, and certainly don't invest in the 3pt just to add one. It'll be too big for most of your needs, anyway.

Instead, rent a large tiller or pay for someone local to expand your garden and focus instead on how you'll cultivate and maintain that garden, once you've expanded it. That points toward a walk-behind, and IMO a rear-tine one, not the front-tine one that'll beat you to death (yeah, I tried one of those also, before buying the Troybilt 20 years ago).

You can always keep an eye out for a bargain on a used tiller designed for your JD, but like I said, you'll likely find it of limited use...

IMO, save your money and save your JD, by looking at a smaller tiller for your ongoing needs...

/ Introductions and 3pt Tiller Reality Check #13  
Near that price point (tiller only), I wonder if a PTO would have a bigger resale market.

Aaron
It should
since a PTO tiller can be marketed to tractors with or without Hydraulics but a Hydraulic tiller can only be sold to someone that has a hydraulic tractor.
1*I agree. My thinking is that I would get a much better tiller for less money with a PTO driven tiller - regardless of whether I keep the 445 or get a new tractor.
2*A 2210 or 2305 would be sweet, but it's just to much tractor for this property.
3*I'm reasonably certain that my 445 already outclasses every tractor in the neighborhood.
4*So if I keep the 445 and get a PTO kit and a limited CAT 1 3-pt
5*which tiller should I hang off the back, given the limitations of this tractor? What kind of weight and size limitations should I use to narrow my search?
6*Despite my enthusiasm, I can not in good conscious attempt to justify a CUT of any kind for my property
1*Think you're right.
2*You left out the Kubota BX23 24 and 25 along with the MF GC 2310 and 2410 or even the Simplicity Legacy XL all comparable to the JD.
3*I know My BXs outclass every tractor in my neighborhood - 4 of them have 3 JD garden tractors the other one has a JD lawn tractor.
That don't bother me non cause I didn't buy the tractors for them I bought them for me.
I did however do some small Jobs for about 4 of them free of charge because their garden tractors would not handle the task.
4*You said you had $5000 in the JD,
Add the PTO and 3 point $1000
Now yer at $6000 and still no tiller and only 2WD.
used tractor with new tiller.
I have $5525 in this one or $6250 if you want to count the MMM and it includes the tiller and 4 wheel drive.
I don't count/use the mower because I have a mower on the other BX1500.
If you want to figure it with the new BX1500 instead of the used one it comes out to $7500 without the mower or $8950 with the mower including the tiller and 4 wd.
5*I have a CC GT 2554 Garden tractor with a new 30'' tiller for it.
This tractor is in the same type/class of tractor as a JD x445.
As you can see tillers are smaller for garden tractors than S-Cuts.
6*I can especially when it comes to more features and capability for about the same or less money.
===========
I would highly recommend you look into new and used BX 1500 1550 and 1560 tractors.
I would recommend other brands but Kubota is the only Manufacture building a tractor than fits in this slot.
These are a bit smaller than the JD 2210 or 2305 Kubota BX23 24 and 25 MF GC 2310 2410 an the Simplicity Legacy XL.
I should know : I have a BX 23 to compare them with .
My BX1500s drive nicer than my CC garden tractor and are more nimble too.
They don't feel any bigger or bulkier than the Cub Cadet either.

Last edited:
   / Introductions and 3pt Tiller Reality Check
Thanks for the replies. With the costs quickly adding up, I think I'm going to hold off on a tiller solution for now until I've had some more time to think about it. I just can't see spending 2-3k for a 445 based tiller solution. Upgrading the tractor spends that much or more for the same result. My garden is not that big - I can certainly get by this season with my brothers front tine tiller. I'll continue to work on a longer term solution over the course of this year.

Thanks again - Aaron

Last edited:
   / Introductions and 3pt Tiller Reality Check #15  
Thanks for the replies. With the costs quickly adding up, I think I'm going to hold off on a tiller solution for now until I've had some more time to think about it.
I just can't see spending 2-3k for a 445 based tiller solution.
Upgrading the tractor spends that much or more for the same result.
My garden is not that big - I can certainly get by this season with my brothers front tine tiller. I'll continue to work on a longer term solution over the course of this year.

Thanks again - Aaron
I can't either.
And the sad part is when you get done you still only have a 2 wheel drive garden tractor out of it.

I don't blame you.
I wouldn't it do either.

/ Introductions and 3pt Tiller Reality Check #16  
I agree. My thinking is that I would get a much better tiller for less money with a PTO driven tiller - regardless of whether I keep the 445 or get a new tractor. Despite my enthusiasm, I can not in good conscious attempt to justify a CUT of any kind for my property. A 2210 or 2305 would be sweet, but it's just to much tractor for this property. I'm reasonably certain that my 445 already outclasses every tractor in the neighborhood. It certainly drew a crowd when I mowed with it the first time.

So if I keep the 445 and get a PTO kit and a limited CAT1 3-pt, which tiller should I hang off the back, given the limitations of this tractor? What kind of weight and size limitations should I use to narrow my search?

Here's the pto-driven tiller I use around my 10-acre place, mostly for the veg garden.

DSCF0242Small.jpg

It's a 1974 Bolens G1453 with 32" rototiller and 42" mower deck that I found on craigslist for $600.

When I put in the landscaping 2 years ago around the new house, I used my Kubota B7510HST/LA302 FEL (21 hp engine, 17 hp pto, $12600 new in 2005) and a $300 Yanmar RS1200 rototiller (48" wide).

DSCF0209Medium.jpg

/ Introductions and 3pt Tiller Reality Check #17  

DSCF0242Small.jpg

1*1974 Bolens G1453 with 32" rototiller and 42" mower deck
2*When I put in the landscaping 2 years ago around the new house,
3*I used my Kubota B7510HST with Yanmar RS1200 rototiller (48" wide).
4*/LA302 FEL.
1*I too have a Bolens set up similar to yours.
It's a 1968 Bolens model 850 with a tiller just like yours except it's a 24''tiller with a 38''mower deck and a 42'' dirt/snow blade.
2*I've done a lot of landscaping with my:
3*Kubota BX1500 with a 48'' KK tiller on it.
4*My FEL is on a Kubota BX23.

/ Introductions and 3pt Tiller Reality Check #18  
Keep in mind, that if the 445's rear pto is the same as earlier John Deere 400 and 300 class machines, its not a 540 rpm, but more like 2000rpm, the industry standard for a catagory 0 rear pto. This will limit you to the tillers that JD made for the tractors. I know for the older 300 and 400 class machines, JD offered both a 48" pto shaft drive tiller, and a Hyd driven tilller. The Hyd drive has a seperate pump that is driven off the tractors shaft drive either on the rear or from the mower deck pto, not sure if the Hyd was an option on yours though. You might want to join and post over on the weekendfreedommachines website, its dedicated to the garden tractor size John Deeres and many guys have that model and can help you even better than this awsome site. That tractor will more than handle your garden needs, you just need the proper guidence on what tilller model you need. The factory JD tillers for the older 400 class fit the standard Cat 0 hitch. Most guys with the smaller 300 class, like my 318, run the hyd tillers. the big 48" pto drive tiller tends to push the smaller tractors around a bit. I put my garden in the old fashioned way. I plow it with a 1 bottom moldboard plow, then disc it several times with a disc harrow. Then I can get in with a rake and make my rows and do the planting. The plow and disc harrow together are less than what the tiller would cost, and take up much less space. Hope to see you over on the WFM website. Mike

/ Introductions and 3pt Tiller Reality Check #19  
Thanks for the replies. With the costs quickly adding up, I think I'm going to hold off on a tiller solution for now until I've had some more time to think about it. I just can't see spending 2-3k for a 445 based tiller solution. Upgrading the tractor spends that much or more for the same result. My garden is not that big - I can certainly get by this season with my brothers front tine tiller. I'll continue to work on a longer term solution over the course of this year.

Thanks again - Aaron
I bought a new Cub Cadet GT2554 with 54'' mower 30" tiller and 42'' front blade back in Nov. 2005.
I have only put about 85 hours on the tractor.
The tiller and front blade have never been on the tractor so remain unused.
Sound like you could use something like that.
To bad you aren't closer .