Insomnia

/ Insomnia #171  
A cold bedroom wearing long sleeves and socks is important. You want to keep your torso cool but your arms legs and feet warm. Lots of studies have been done about this.
Agree on the cool bedroom, but I don't think I could sleep in long sleeves and/or socks. For one thing, I'd roast. For another I've slept in my birthday suit for the last 50+ years that wearing any sort of clothing to bed is just going to bunch up and be uncomfortable. Well, maybe if you mean below-freezing bedroom temperatures, but no way no how is Mrs. Oak going to go along with that!! :ROFLMAO: 🥶

/ Insomnia #173  
It's OK with me too. I cannot understand those who want to change their natural body rhythm/clock/DNA/whatever. Enjoy the short time we have.

Many thanks for posting the article - pretty much a re-run of what my wife read quite a while ago - guessing pre 2003 when we moved to Portugal. Unlikely to have come across an old magazine in English after that. Again, why do people stuff their bodies with all these drugs that "Big Pharma" pays their doctors to prescribe? Live with what we are given. I do a lot of planning when awake. Never get up unless I must and have no problem with lying awake and snug for an hour or more. It is surprising how much a planned work day or project can be improved when there is nothing else to think about. Everybody also sleeps more than they claim. Sleep tests prove this. I remember a thread on here with somebody even claiming the sleep tests must be wrong because he never slept at all when he was in hospital for such a test, despite the test showing otherwise.

It depends entirely on what I have for dinner. We have a proper cooked meal every night. A main course, followed by cheese, fruit (fresh or dry) and nuts (still eating our own almonds brought from Portugal). Tonight we had an Italian style mince and pasta, then grapes. Did not bother with either cheese or nuts although they were on the table. I think my wife might have had some cheese. We buy our meat locally, an Orkney Aberdeen Angus breeder also runs the butcher's shop in the village only 3 miles away and I was in there this morning, picking up mince, beef sausage meat and a leg of lamb. Kept out part of the mince, froze the rest. We opened and finished a bottle of cheapish Spanish red - a Tempranillo in Spain and known as Tinta Roriz in Portugal.

I have farmed in wine growing areas for more than 30 years of my life and grown grapes on a small scale, so am accustomed to drinking wine, and most days between one and two glasses with lunch. Today I had milk with lunch. My intake is less than many other old peasants of my acquaintance. In Portugal I soon learned that anybody we used as contractors, or tradesmen, consumed about a bottle a head with lunch. An aquardente (Brandy) with morning coffee was normal for them too, but not me. Once accustomed to drinking wine with meals, probably from childhood, it seems not to do any harm, and I am sure is much better, being a natural product, than all the pills other posters say they take. I knew people in Portugal considerably older than me and still working their land.

On other nights we will have one and a half bottles or even more, and on others less than a bottle, but average a bit more than a bottle long term. At maybe 3 times the strength of beer, 375mls of wine is not a lot of alcohol - and free from chemicals. When in Portugal we did also have some Ruby Port after the main course. It was cheap there, but far too expensive in the UK.

I am likely to have a Crabbie's Green Ginger wine before bed tonight. Last night I had a Glenmorangie, my second favourite malt. Dalmore is Nº1 in case anybody wonders. I have had the bottle since early December and it is more than half full.
I liked Sherry when I was in the Air Force stationed near Sevilla, Spain in 1967-68. Other wines were good too, also some beer.

I don't know what the costs are now, but at that time it was really cheap. 30 shorties beer was a dollar and their shorties were much
bigger that ours.

/ Insomnia #174  
There is a lot of information out there that I did not get from my doctor and they are very helpful

I have had three different sleep doctors in the past 15 years. They didn't tell me a lot of the things that I use now I had to learn them on my own from reading and watching YouTube.

The thing I am not doing that I know would help me and I need to start is exercising in the mornings.

Getting out of the house in the sunlight in the morning is supposedly very helpful too.

For us what works is 65° in the winter 68° in the summer for the bedroom. We both sleep in very thin long sleeve shirts and very thin athletic pants. Nothing heavy cuz it's too hot. In fact, unless our grandkids are there, we keep our house at 65 all the time in the winter.

Last edited: