Insomnia

/ Insomnia #152  
We are all atheists, some just believe in one less god than others.
Don't remember who's quote that was.

Evolution and the expanding universe are hardly religions, and are a little more proven by the scientific method than any religion is by any method.
Absolutely no scientific evidence for evolution or expanding universe. In fact the evidence points to the opposite. So yes, "atheists" BELIEVE in ideas that have no proof.

/ Insomnia #153  
Absolutely no scientific evidence for evolution or expanding universe. In fact the evidence points to the opposite. So yes, "atheists" BELIEVE in ideas that have no proof.
Apparently your definition of proof is considerably different than the generally accepted defnition. Just because you don't believe in evolution or the expanding universe hardly invalidates their basis in fact.

/ Insomnia #154  
Or at least randomly odd and disconnected hours of sleep. Some nights several straight hours. Other nights an hour or two here and there. Sometimes a few daytime naps. No consistent pattern from one to the next.

Oh well.
Get a sleep study. Talk to your doctor. You may have sleep apnea and need a CPAP. I've had mine for 6 years and sleep MUCH better with it.

/ Insomnia #155  
Get a sleep study. Talk to your doctor. You may have sleep apnea and need a CPAP. I've had mine for 6 years and sleep MUCH better with it.
Yep. Even if he doesn't have apnea, it's a good thing to eliminate it. I did a sleep study. No apnea, I just snore a lot. But the wife and kid were convinced I'd die in my sleep from it. Good to find out. If I'd have had apnea, I'd have never known.

/ Insomnia
Not any of that. Largely stress. I guess.

Very little sleep last night. Got an hour or two mid-to-late evening. Wide awake from 10 or 11 until 3 or 4. Lids just wouldn't close. Another hour or two after that.

Probably nap out a few hours today.

It'll build up and I'll get one of those rare 8-10 hour sessions someday.

/ Insomnia #158  
Light anxious sleeper here as well. Made worse when a tool figured to exploit that from mid 2016, where for 3 years my sleep was at most 2.5 hours, more typical only 2 hours. From 2020 I got more 2.5 hours but also had to suffer especially days that I had to really put in a big day no matter how bad the pain was, yeah those nights often went were I was lucky to get even 1.5 hours, more often no sleep.

I used to use earplugs up until a decade ago, but eventually they took a toll on my ears. I also have tinnitus, so a fan runs to help but loosing the ability to hear those high frequencies in real life has made it much better to tolerate once the brain started to ignore the noise and high pitched cicadas, though it still makes it hard to hear a conversation.

For sleep issues when I was just early 20s I hurt my neck ... and my sleep rhythm went pear shaped. I used to read science mags (and understand though moving into end 90s much of it was becoming far too fluffy for my liking) quite a lot. To my surprise I discovered how melatonin really works, it's not only eyes and brain for melatonin release. In fact the pathway involves transiting the spinal cord ... mine was inflamed for a couple of years after an accident ... taking melatonin help me reset my sleep rhythm and let my body get some good sleep. I didn't overuse it, and went periods without until needing to reset once more.

The take away, those with damaged necks / spine may benefit greatly from melatonin. (Note: good grade of melatonin, there's a lot of rubbish on the market.)

I used to do ok with 5 hours but probably would have been better off in my younger days with more.

For normal sleep issues, there's lot of literature out there, some of it's outdated -- for example the blue light idea which a couple of years ago was disproved.

What I've often read on the matter, the top could possibly work methods are establish a sleep rhythm, and use association, like only use the actual sleeping area for sleeping, so the mind gets to associate lying on the bed with sleeping. Of course that really doesn't work for me, because once I stir, unless I'm in a relaxed mood, that's it, I just lie there for the night ... I tell myself it's letting my body rest even if my brain is tired.

That old "if you're working hard" chestnut / nugget ... lol. Long story short, when one start to notice their reactions speeds are astounding slow, much of the day is headaches and suffering muscles (esp neck) that are in so much pain that maybe under normal circumstances one would present to a doctor, and despite starting to stick to simple manual chores ... basically working a day knowing in days past, one would have struggled to get shoes off at end of day, and after sitting down often dropping off before thinking about super or getting cleaned up ... and yet, despite how it was, be still that tired, but also in pain, knowing that if one did close their eyes and drift off, should they be unlucky enough to wake after a couple of hours ... the next day would repeat the same as the one before.

/ Insomnia
Last night was pretty decent for a change.

My insurance company has a thing with CVS where we can order stuff shipped to the house at no cost. I ordered one of the finger clamp pulse oximeter thingamabobs that would normally cost in the $40 range. If it's accurate, it's showing a pulse varying in the 60-90 range and O2 in the 90s, variable based on time of day. The included booklet with charts and graphs says that's normal.

I also got a $50 wrist BP doodad (no cost to me) and the pulse on that one matches.

/ Insomnia #160  
Not any of that. Largely stress. I guess.

Very little sleep last night. Got an hour or two mid-to-late evening. Wide awake from 10 or 11 until 3 or 4. Lids just wouldn't close. Another hour or two after that.

Probably nap out a few hours today.

Last night was pretty decent for a change.

Why do you worry about sleep? Serious question. Why not just accept that you sleep as you do?

I normally wake twice whilst in bed, sometimes once, and can be awake for a couple of hours, not always, can be awake just a short time. I reckon I still get a total of 9 hours most nights - in bed up to 11 hours. Since I retired from farming last year at 77 I get up when I feel like it, not when I have to.

I do not see why anybody should be bothered about having apnoea either. I have slept with a CPAP machine for close on 30 years. I stopped snoring the night I first used it. My wife was pleased, and still is.