IN SEARCH CURTIS CAB WINDSHIELD

/ IN SEARCH CURTIS CAB WINDSHIELD
I always thought that holes were drilled in glass BEFORE IT WAS TEMPERED and if drilling was tried afterwards the glass would shatter.

if so, this would increase time to manufacture something. I believe laminated safety glass can be drilled however, and may end up being a practical solution if time is a factor.
From what I have read you are correct no way to drill holes after glass is hardened. I will probably be waiting till spring to get it repaired as need the tractor for snow removal right now plowing two yards the cab also needs straightening before glass can go in. Thinking bodyshop will have to fix it insurance wants quote but bodyshop says hard to give a firm quote on something like this. If I can figure out glass replacement cost would be a big factor in the cost of repair.

/ IN SEARCH CURTIS CAB WINDSHIELD #12  
Is it flat or curved?

Is it flat or curved?
It is flat with no frame just hinges at the top and 2 latches on the bottom a weather stripping all around it. Thinking maybe make a metal cutout frame and smaller glass.

/ IN SEARCH CURTIS CAB WINDSHIELD #14  
   / IN SEARCH CURTIS CAB WINDSHIELD #16  
If the glass is flat it is not a problem to get new glass. You just have to find a glass shop (not an auto glass installer). If it is curved glass your going to be in trouble.
I have had glass cut for a few pieces of equipment by different glass companies. I will make a template out of 1/4" underlayment or take all the broken pieces in taped together. They will then cut it to your specs. If there are holes in it make sure to bring the attaching hardware for a fit check. Remember auto glass installing folks are the wrong crowed to talk to, they know how to order and install glass. Folks who do Picture frames would be good to talk to as they do some odd frames some times. The lumber yard might know of a glass cutter also. The glass cutter does not care if it is for a house, a coffee table, a piece of art, or a tractor, they will need to know to use safety glass though.

Google is your friend. here are some ideas based around Medford, WI.

It might not hurt to call the local window manufactures as well.
www.bigbluewindow.com/

I know I have had to call lots of folks and get turned down lots of times before I found the right glass shops. It takes time but it is worth it and is much cheaper than buying a new cab.

If the glass is flat it is not a problem to get new glass. You just have to find a glass shop (not an auto glass installer). If it is curved glass your going to be in trouble.
I have had glass cut for a few pieces of equipment by different glass companies. I will make a template out of 1/4" underlayment or take all the broken pieces in taped together. They will then cut it to your specs. If there are holes in it make sure to bring the attaching hardware for a fit check. Remember auto glass installing folks are the wrong crowed to talk to, they know how to order and install glass. Folks who do Picture frames would be good to talk to as they do some odd frames some times. The lumber yard might know of a glass cutter also. The glass cutter does not care if it is for a house, a coffee table, a piece of art, or a tractor, they will need to know to use safety glass though.

Google is your friend. here are some ideas based around Medford, WI.

It might not hurt to call the local window manufactures as well.
www.bigbluewindow.com/

I know I have had to call lots of folks and get turned down lots of times before I found the right glass shops. It takes time but it is worth it and is much cheaper than buying a new cab.
Thank you Sportsman for this information I was considering a glass place about an hour away hadn't talked to them yet I think I will try Glass To Go I was thinking of cutting a wood template and mounting the hardware to see if it all worked and taking it to a glass place for a pattern. Sounds like things may work out after all. Be nice if winter was over so I can get the tractor to a body shop for straightening the cab it just bugs me seeing it this way.

/ IN SEARCH CURTIS CAB WINDSHIELD #18  
Be nice if winter was over so I can get the tractor to a body shop for straightening the cab it just bugs me seeing it this way.
If your cab is that badly tweaked it could put pressure on the glass causing it to break again. A temporary plexiglass windshield might be in order for this season. Menards has big sheets of Lexan and Plexiglass that you could cut with a jigsaw. Once the cab is fixed then get a real glass windshield.

Last edited:
If your cab is that badly tweaked it could put pressure on the glass causing it to break again. A temporary plexiglass windshield might be in order for this season. Menards has big sheets of Lexan and Plexiglass that you could cut with a jigsaw. Once the cab is fixed then get a real glass windshield.
Cab is temporary sealed until spring so at least I still have heat thanks.