Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China

/ Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China
#1,171  
...in CA who wants to eliminate all small gas engines...
Here in CA, the new CARB regs have been enacted last month, at least partially, to stop the sales of new gasoline-powered lawn and garden equipment. I don't know if that applies to standalone engines, or generators, or other large equipment. Lots still to be settled.

And, nothing about the used markets. Sounds like the State will just stop retailers from selling you gas lawnmowers, or other garden equipment.

Oh yeah, one of the local HD stores has tons of battery-powered lawn/garden tools, but no gasoline tools. I was just there. Creepy.

Last edited:
   / Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China #1,172  
Pick and shovel work isn't fun.

#1,173  
I just put it before the swivel motor, no tee needed. The old hoses in one side and 2 new hoses back out to the motor. Here is the model for the RV DCRV45-06N.
Oh, you mean a dual crossover RV. I was thinking individual shock-RVs, but they drain to the tank. Yours is a Summit DCRV45-06N, which seems to be preset at the factory to 1300psi, with a max setting of 2600. Looks like that would work, and be a simpler installation. I would probably set mine to just over system pressure (2400psi in my case).

Do you have plan to measure the pressure you get with each setting?

Those photos from Facebook of damage to the motor and ring/pinion gears make me want to put one in, too.

Attachments

• Summit_crossover_RV.JPG
    Summit_crossover_RV.JPG
    103.5 KB · Views: 40
   / Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China #1,174  
Oh, you mean a dual crossover RV. I was thinking individual shock-RVs, but they drain to the tank. Yours is a Summit DCRV45-06N, which seems to be preset at the factory to 1300psi, with a max setting of 2600. Looks like that would work, and be a simpler installation. I would probably set mine to just over system pressure (2400psi in my case).

Do you have plan to measure the pressure you get with each setting?

Those photos from Facebook of damage to the motor and ring/pinion gears make me want to put one in, too.
Yes I do plan to measure pressure at different settings. I have turned it up a bit from the setting in the video. I now get much better speed swiveling than in the video and still maintain a great deal more control when coming to a stop than I did without the valve. The photos of damaged parts certainly helped in the decision but lets be honest, we just like working on these things.

/ Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China #1,175  
Yes I do plan to measure pressure at different settings. I have turned it up a bit from the setting in the video. I now get much better speed swiveling than in the video and still maintain a great deal more control when coming to a stop than I did without the valve. The photos of damaged parts certainly helped in the decision but lets be honest, we just like working on these things.
so how do these work? they use springs? and bypass into the opposing side till the springs clamp shut?

/ Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China #1,177  
Pick and shovel work isn't fun.
I helped dig a Whole Basement under my Sister's House. I am done shoveling!

Then once we got off of Digging on our Bellies, Standing up, through a 1' layer of Clay, we got to Mix and Shovel Cement into 2, 8' Forms/Night

/ Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China #1,178  
I have been planning on adding a crossover relief to my QH12 since I got it. I was surprised the motor doesn’t have some sort of port reliefs. The pics of broken bits on FB makes me more determined to make the change.

You May find best settings for the reliefs will be below system relief settings.

#1,179  
Well, the factory setting of 1300psi is way too low, as you found out.

I suspect that without some cushioning, it is inevitable that the ring/pinion or motor shaft/mount will get hammered to death. Maybe after 200 or 300 hours. Who knows? Maybe those posted failures were on units with way more that the 150 hours I have. Nevertheless, I want to protect from that problem.

Also, sloppy fitment between the ring/pinion gears would contribute to the hammering effect. The fitment on my machine seems to be tighter than yours and others'. And it IS built in China.

Measuring the shock-RV pressure after adjustment is not straight forward. The last time I bought a single crossover RV from Hydraforce, I was able to specify the RV at the factory to the 2000psi I needed. How do you propose to measure your new pressure setting?

#1,180  
You May find best settings for the reliefs will be below system relief settings.
Maybe, but if you set the shock-RVs to lower than system pressure, you will not be able to utilize full system pressure when the valve is actuated.