IBC Totes

/ IBC Totes #71  
Bugs need to stay outside, in the cold, where they don't do stuff. I was keeping wood in the garage ... dry, but cold. Stuff that came in went into the stove so the bugs got cooked before they woke up.

/ IBC Totes #72  
I’ve been stacking firewood in IBC totes for several years. I store them under a lean to off my detached garage about 100 ft from the house. Every day I go out and fill 3 Rubbermaid bins and bring some firewood into the house. Yesterday a light bulb went off and here is the result. No more daily trips out to the garage! Didn’t think the sliding glass door on the front porch was big enough, but the IBC tote cleared with an inch on either side. Porch floor is a 12” concrete slab so no worry about weight either. I just have to take my time putting it in as the sliding glass door will probably break pretty easy if I bump it.

View attachment 721480
Not unless you have a cat. There are mice in some of my wood totes.

/ IBC Totes #73  
Good thing I have two cats Salt and Pearl that live in the front porch! Excellent mousers!
IMG_2332.JPG

/ IBC Totes #74  
I also cut my totes like this, I had hoped this year to make a flip up door to keep the exposed ends dry, but it didn't happen. This also lets me get a couple more layers up under the lid. My loader feels quite squirrelly when I'm picking these up when full & green, so I keep them just a few inches above the ground.

Attachments

• KIMG3427.JPG
    KIMG3427.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 68
   / IBC Totes #75  
I finally bit the bullet and bought 30 IBC's from a mulch dealer for $25.00 each. They had been drilled to get all of the dye out so I cut them up with a battery powered circular saw to make covers and the rest went to the landfill.

I did lay out a full cord to see how much each 275 rack would hold and it is 1/3 of a cord if stacked neatly to the top of the basket.

/ IBC Totes #78  
Another application for the IBC Tote: A watering trailer. It's a perfect fit on HF's 40x48 inch trailer.

p1670184ribcwateringtrailer-jpg.267962

Here's the post with that photo in the HF thread, and some comments for anyone considering building one. Since the photo (2012) I've installed 12" automotive tires for better flotation over rough ground. The trailer is holding up to this abuse (2600 lbs. loaded), to my surprise.

Added: photo with 12 inch tires, and the soft, sloping ground where larger tires work better.

kimg0714rwatering-onslope2-jpg.438128

Last edited:
   / IBC Totes #79  
I looked at CL and it appears that the prices have risen quite a bit in the past year. I wonder if it has to do with the "supply chain" issues and a scarcity of product that comes in the totes. Neither of the wood mulch places in my area that were selling them last year are advertising at all now. Are the manufacturers demanding the return if the totes because they cannot purchase new ones?

/ IBC Totes #80  
I was given the tote in those watering photos. It had initially arrived containing fertilizer but wasn't returnable. But it had sat out in the sun for a few years and my elbow went through the top the second year I had it.

I got a fresh liner from a nearby brewery. The brewery received wet mash in them but their supplier only wanted the structure returned, not the liner. They offered their liners on CL for $25.