I got an early Christmas present

/ I got an early Christmas present
When this happened I did trip the breaker to the shop but forgot to cut off the water and it ran for like 7 hours and now all I can get out of a pipe is mud.

/ I got an early Christmas present #12  
Noooooo! So sorry, what a nightmare!!

/ I got an early Christmas present #13  
Really sorry for your loss.

Don't settle with the Insurance company until you have had sufficient time to go thru the rubble, find remnants of tools, machinery, etc, which will likely prompt your memory of other things that were in there. Ins company will say most of it was valued at 0 because of depreciation, your argument can be that they were antiques with very good value.

Ins companies are out to protect themselves, not you.

Good luck !!

/ I got an early Christmas present #14  
Sorry for your loss.

So much depends upon the quality of your insurance company and the type of coverage you had. I have been lucky we had wind take off half the roof of our horse barn and six months later rental property I had burned to the ground. My insurance company was fantastic and looked for every way to assist in the pay out here. none of the nickel and diming me or demanding proof or anything like that but I pay a lot for a good quality insurance. FWIW I have Westfield insurance.

That's another thing I was wondering about. I don't really run a business out of the shop. I do build things from time to time for other people. I do charge them for materials and consumables and if they want to chuck in a few extra bucks I don't turn it down. Most of my machines are old but they will....or would have been around when these new ones are dead and gone.

Sorry for your loss.

So much depends upon the quality of your insurance company and the type of coverage you had. I have been lucky we had wind take off half the roof of our horse barn and six months later rental property I had burned to the ground. My insurance company was fantastic and looked for every way to assist in the pay out here. none of the nickel and diming me or demanding proof or anything like that but I pay a lot for a good quality insurance. FWIW I have Westfield insurance.
I have USAA and they were good to deal with when we had storm damage a few years back.

/ I got an early Christmas present #17  
I hope you have good luck with insurance.
Carry a notebook or something and write stuff down as you think of it or see it.
Lookup the current cost to replace to help negotiate.

Hope this gets through quickly and you do well. Fire/water damage is a pain.

Make sure you understand cleanup costs too.

Really sorry for your loss.

Don't settle with the Insurance company until you have had sufficient time to go thru the rubble, find remnants of tools, machinery, etc, which will likely prompt your memory of other things that were in there. Ins company will say most of it was valued at 0 because of depreciation, your argument can be that they were antiques with very good value.

Ins companies are out to protect themselves, not you.

Good luck !!
Now they are telling me that I cant touch the building until their fire investigators take a look. At first they told me I needed to start getting a list of the stuff I lost. I told them to do that I would have to dig through the rubble which didn't bother them at the time now they have changed their tune. I don't know how that will shake out.

/ I got an early Christmas present #19  
dealt with USAA from the other side. I had a fence taken out by a USAA insured driver who passed out after giving blood for COVID antibodies & they nickel & dimed me on everything.

I hope you have good luck with insurance.
Carry a notebook or something and write stuff down as you think of it or see it.
Lookup the current cost to replace to help negotiate.

Hope this gets through quickly and you do well. Fire/water damage is a pain.

Make sure you understand cleanup costs too.
Heck, I've done tree work, pipe fitter, welder, jack leged machinist, a rigger, done electrical work, a boat and car mechanic, done AC work and probably a few other things in my lifetime and when I needed a tool I went out and bought it. My shop was loaded with tools and equipment that a lot of mechanical companies don't have on hand. I can look in one small corner and see $10,000 in tools of one kind or another. I had more than $20,000 in powder coat equipment not to mention the tooling for my lathe, mill, and drill machine. I don't know how all this is going to shake out but I guess I'll soon find out. Now I don't even have a screwdriver or a pipe wrench to work on my mud filled well that ran for about 7 1/2 hours when the water line burned off at the shop and was pumping water all that till the fire crew finally saw the leak and came up to tell me to cut off the water line.