Hydro to CVT?

/ Hydro to CVT? #11  
The Boomer 8n that I played with did not have any whine. I agree that HST noise cab be annoying...But not so annoying that I'd choose CVT over HST in a CUT.

/ Hydro to CVT? #12  
Both are good. I like my CVT on the Boomer 8N. It is like driving a car with a gas pedal and a brake pedal next to each other. There is no whine. You never have to worry about being in the wrong gear. The Hi/Med/Lo range switch just limits the % of available speed, 30%/60%/100%, to make the pedal more responsive. I run mine in Low except when mowing, then it's in High range as the cruise control only works in High range. My Boomer 8N doesn't have a loader as I bought it to mow with. For loader work I prefer the HST on the TC40DA.

The only real complaint I have is that the Boomer 8N headlights look neat but don't put out any light.

/ Hydro to CVT? #13  
My Boomer 8N has a hand throttle and a foot pedal. While you can leave the hand throttle at idle and control the speed with the foot pedal just like a car it is somewhat jerky. I run the handle throttle up to 2400 RPMs which is PTO speed, set the speed range switch in Low, and use the foot pedal to control speed and it is very smooth. Low range is a max of about 6 mph which is more than my back can stand on anything but smooth road. High range is 100% speed with a max of 18 mph.

There are 2 cruise controls. One you can preset in 1/2 mph increments and the other is a regular cruise control you set at your current speed by hitting the Set button. I have my preset cruise control button set at 3 mph for mowing.

/ Hydro to CVT?
The Boomer 8n that I played with did not have any whine. I agree that HST noise cab be annoying...But not so annoying that I'd choose CVT over HST in a CUT.

Confirmed there is no whine like my HST. Did some driving around on the tractor at the dealers lot today. This is basically the same tractor in physical size and layout, same loader, etc as my current tractor. The only difference is the CVT transmission, +10 hp, as well as a lot more electronics which I don't see as a bonus. Digital dash looks expensive to fix when it fails.

Driving the tractor with CVT feels very different. There is no throttle which I found weird at first but really liked by the time I was done. As you press on the peddle and more power is needed the engine revs up just like a car. Let off the peddle and come to a stop and the rpms drop down to idle. Forward to Reverse only takes a second with the flip of a lever but you still have to flip a lever as there is only a single peddle. Even though its really simple and fast, I still like the ease of my HST two peddle operation. Another difference is the range selection. My current HST has a low range and high range lever in addition to a rabbit/turtle switch on the loader control effectively giving it 4 speeds. The CVT just has high and low via a switch instead of a manual lever. If can flip the switch from hi to low or low to hi at anytime. As soon as you bring the tractor to a stop it will make the switch automatically. The CVT is also much faster in high range than my HST. My business is about 3 miles from home and I often drive it instead of taking the time to trailer. The extra speed would be nice. I didn't have a chance to doing much more than drive around the lot but the CVT should put more power to the ground. That was one of my complaints with my HST. The HST seems to go into relief before using all available power. My HST also runs hot when doing heavy mowing or ground engaging work. Its a 2008 and has been a problem since new. I think the earlier models were not designed with enough radiator to handle the work load plus the cab air conditioning. I'm waiting to see what the final offer from the dealer is.

/ Hydro to CVT? #15  
Just FYI, there are a few brands now that offer HST with "auto throttle" or "linked throttle" etc. Massey, Kubota, Yanmar, Kioti...

On my Massey HST, I can keep the hand throttle at idle (or whichever RPM I prefer) and as I press the foot pedal, it automatically adjusts the RPM's up to meet the speed I'm asking it to go. When I let off the foot pedal, the RPM's adjust back down accordingly.

Before you make your final decision, might be worth taking the time to drive one of these newer hydrostats with that feature...

/ Hydro to CVT? #16  
I had a NH cab tractor here for a couple of days that I almost bought. It had the CVT transmission and there was no whine. It worked good for everything I wanted to try it on but I had a problem. First day it went fine, the second day not so. I went out in the morning to play with it and when I went to back it up it would move a couple of foot and shut the tractor off. Called the dealer as the were coming out anyway and they picked it up. I decided I did not want one. It was jerky at first but aafter about 15 mins I got use to it and it became a smooth operation. Using the loader when you changed the direction there was a pause but nothing I could not handle. I also drove a Massy and that one was nice, but in my area there is only one dealer and he is 60 miles away. He was willing to bring his out and leave it for a week and was more so after I told him the last time a dealer left one it was still here after 33 years. He said he would follow me home no problem. That one had the nicest cab on it of any I looked at. I think the Masy had the CVT trans. on it also

/ Hydro to CVT?
Quote from the dealer who is also a customer of mine seems to be really good. Price for the new Case 55C CVT with loader, two rear remotes, cold weather pkg, loaded rear tires, and keeping my current hoses and hyd couplers for my grapple and snow plow came in at $39,000. They are offering $20,750 for my Case 45 tractor with 1600 hours. I paid $34,500 for it 8 years ago and have seen the same tractor listed on tractor house with less hours and better cosmetic shape for $18,500. Out the door cost of $18,250 with trade.

Edit: Forgot to add that price difference was at 0%/72. If I go with 2.9%/60 they will knock the trade difference to $16,300 which is the route I will go since it will be paid off at the end of this year. Add in that its a business purchase and depreciation and it looks like a very good deal.

Last edited:
   / Hydro to CVT? #18  
I'm on my 2nd CVT. 1st was a Farmall40 that I traded in with 950 hrs. I now have a Farmall 55 CVT with about 90 hrs. After having these 2 CVT's, I will never own another hydro.

/ Hydro to CVT? #19  
Both are good. I like my CVT on the Boomer 8N. It is like driving a car with a gas pedal and a brake pedal next to each other. There is no whine. You never have to worry about being in the wrong gear. The Hi/Med/Lo range switch just limits the % of available speed, 30%/60%/100%, to make the pedal more responsive. I run mine in Low except when mowing, then it's in High range as the cruise control only works in High range. My Boomer 8N doesn't have a loader as I bought it to mow with. For loader work I prefer the HST on the TC40DA.

The only real complaint I have is that the Boomer 8N headlights look neat but don't put out any light.

How is your chrome ROPS holding up? Any rust?