hydro oil temp

/ hydro oil temp #1  

Eric_Phillips

Platinum Member
Tractor
FarmTrac 270DTC
Doesn't hydraulic oil in a running tractor see temperatures about 250F regularly? The reason I am asking is not really a tractor question but you guys know this stuff. We have a processor that has a thermal fluid that allows us to autoclave the vessel in place. The lines for the high temp only come with threaded connectors which makes removing the vessel difficult. Wont the quick connects used on tractor hydraulic systems handle 250F?

/ hydro oil temp #2  
250F is pretty hot, tractors/machinery is usually about 180F tops.

/ hydro oil temp
Thanks Kenny. That is probably why they don't sell quick connects with the high temp systems.

/ hydro oil temp #4  
The company I work for makes hydraulic valves for Ag and construction equipment. We are required to test these valves at temperatures of 200 - 220 degrees F. So I suspect on HST tranny being worked hard the temperatures could reach or exceed 250 degrees when ambient temps are approaching 100 degrees.

Quick disconnects will take the temperature but the seals may be suspect depending on the seal material used.

Roy

/ hydro oil temp #5  
Standard urethane hydraulic cylinder seals are rated for 212 degrees. Don't think any tractor sees that. The O-rings in a QD are rated for 240 degrees so you would be a little over the limit. I would contact a QD manufacturer or go to a hydraulic shop. I am sure there is something that will work.

/ hydro oil temp #6  
If i remember correctly hydraulic systems run at about 150 degrees above ambient temperature.

I could be wrong been a long time since i went to school on that subject :confused2:

/ hydro oil temp #7  
If i remember correctly hydraulic systems run at about 150 degrees above ambient temperature.

I could be wrong been a long time since i went to school on that subject :confused2:

Typical numbers are a lot closer to 100 degrees above ambient. If anything is typical.

/ hydro oil temp #8  
Doesn't hydraulic oil in a running tractor see temperatures about 250F regularly? The reason I am asking is not really a tractor question but you guys know this stuff. We have a processor that has a thermal fluid that allows us to autoclave the vessel in place. The lines for the high temp only come with threaded connectors which makes removing the vessel difficult. Wont the quick connects used on tractor hydraulic systems handle 250F?

Check these guys. They have high temp QD Get the QD catalog download
The temp ratings are in that doc. not cheap
Swagelok.com the source for tube fittings, valves, and other fluid system components

/ hydro oil temp #9  

For what it is worth that is what I have seen as 130 to 150 is the best range. After that break down of fluid will start. (Not my knowledge some one elses)

/ hydro oil temp #10  
For what it is worth that is what I have seen as 130 to 150 is the best range. After that break down of fluid will start. (Not my knowledge some one elses)

Looked in up in a Womack published book, 130 to 160 ideal for industry. Mobile equipment will normaly be higher from ideal to as high as 200 but should never go over 200. It went on saying with each 10 degrees above ideal range 1/16th less oil life.:2cents: