Log splitter hydro filter replacement schedule

/ Log splitter hydro filter replacement schedule #1  

WinterDeere

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 3033R; JD 855 MFWD
My log splitter manual spec's replacement of the hydro filter every year, which seems totally excessive, when the hydro filter schedule on every tractor I've ever owned is 400-500 hours.

While I'm usually inclined to just follow the schedule, the thing is both expensive and a PITA to change, as it's slung off the bottom bung of the reservoir. As soon as you unscrew it, the reservoir starts dumping thru the filter housing.

I change the actual hydro oil every 10 years. The manual doesn't specify a schedule for that, but that's probably close to 500 hours for me, and the stuff still looks clean and dry when dumping it on that schedule. I think water is the primary enemy of hydro fluid in a log splitter.

I'm leaning toward just doing this filter every 5th year, or even every 10th year with the hydro oil (actually ATF), as there's no dirt entering the system of which I'm aware.

/ Log splitter hydro filter replacement schedule #2  
with you on that. ensure the replacement splitter filter has factory micron specs, etc. you might also slightly open the hyd sump drain plug & draw off any moisture accumulated through the years w/o having to replace the entire capacity as you mentioned. regards

Last edited:
   / Log splitter hydro filter replacement schedule #3  
My tractor says change the hydraulic fluid and filter every 200 hours. I put maybe 20 to 40 hours on my splitter a year, probably less. That’s about 10 years to get 200 hours. My old splitter had a filter, my new one does not although I think it has a screen but not meant to be serviced. The fluid in my splitter gets pretty warm but not hot, I always think of splitters being pretty easy on the fluid.

/ Log splitter hydro filter replacement schedule #4  
Your suppose to change the filter?o_O

/ Log splitter hydro filter replacement schedule #5  
A second person can hold a shop-vac on the fill port while you swap filters to lessen spillage.

/ Log splitter hydro filter replacement schedule
A second person can hold a shop-vac on the fill port while you swap filters to lessen spillage.
I can actually almost completely eliminate spillage by tipping it up into a wheelie. Not the safest maneuver to be pulling by hand in my shop, but I've done it a few times. :D

/ Log splitter hydro filter replacement schedule #7  
When I built this splitter, I mounted the filter on the top of the tank rather than down low.
That way, the filter can be changed, without dumping oil,,

N9gyGiC.jpg

The return pipe extends in the tank, to near the bottom.

I change the filter every 3 or 4 years.

/ Log splitter hydro filter replacement schedule #8  
When I built this splitter, I mounted the filter on the top of the tank rather than down low.
That way, the filter can be changed, without dumping oil,,

N9gyGiC.jpg

The return pipe extends in the tank, to near the bottom.

I change the filter every 3 or 4 years.

I am interested in seeing more of the splitter you built please.

/ Log splitter hydro filter replacement schedule
Not CADplans, but even my ubiquitous Huskee-branded Speeco has the filter return at the top of the tank. No need to dump oil to spin off the old filter and install a new one. I only lose the pint that’s in the filter, itself.

/ Log splitter hydro filter replacement schedule #10  
probably everyone else is bored with looking at it,,

KCrmdjy.jpg

1stWxr5.jpg

aGFulNl.jpg

iYWf9pO.jpg

It REALLY is NOT A SPLITTER!! It is mainly a hydraulic press, that splits wood.

Here is a different "insert" that is not the splitting wedge,,
it is a large piece of mechanical tube,,

3QzUSdH.jpg

It was built like this mainly so that it could store tight up against a wall,,
taking up minimal floor space,,
If it was as large as a regular splitter, it would probably be stored outside.

I used a single stage pump, so that as a press, the speed was more controllable.

And,, YES, the return line filter is on the TOP of the tank.
The outlet of the filter leads to a pipe that goes into the tank,, almost to the bottom.
If the oil is returned above the oil level in the tank, the oil will foam.

Hmmmmmmmmmm there is even a video!!