hydraulics or freezing rain issue on backhoe?

/ hydraulics or freezing rain issue on backhoe? #1  

buyerjohn

Silver Member
Tractor
DK45s with cab
I'm a new owner so I don't know a lot about this machine yet...was digging some holes this afternoon...temps in the high 20's and freezing rain...I have the kioti backhoe on a DK45s ...

the "extend the backhoe" operation slowed considerably (pushing the right hand lever) ....all other back hoe functions operate as normal....even when pulling the bucket in with the same lever, the arm retracts at full speed but it extends like a snail when pushing that lever.

Is this a lever issue? perhaps ice? or is it a hdyro issue? wasn't working the machine hard but it did start freezing rain hard when the problem occurred....the lever "throw" felt the same as usual ...

I appreciate your help as always...

thanks, John.

/ hydraulics or freezing rain issue on backhoe? #2  
It does not sound like a hydraulic problem, but rather a linkage problem. With the machine off and the boom lowered, remove any shields around the levers and check the linkage going to that function. Check and lube them all while your in there...

/ hydraulics or freezing rain issue on backhoe?
kennyd said:
It does not sound like a hydraulic problem, but rather a linkage problem. With the machine off and the boom lowered, remove any shields around the levers and check the linkage going to that function. Check and lube them all while your in there...

thanks Kenny - I'll do that...I suspected that some ice was interfering with that particular lever control...but it got too dark to look...and it was too wet and cold also!

By linkage, do you mean where the lever mechanics are? and how they then control the hydro flow? Can I lube them with the same grease used to grease pivot points via the zerks?

thanks again, John.

/ hydraulics or freezing rain issue on backhoe? #4  
By linkage, do you mean where the lever mechanics are? and how they then control the hydro flow? Can I lube them with the same grease used to grease pivot points via the zerks?

Yes, the levers should connect to the spool valve via links, or sometimes small turnbuckles. There should be little ball joints to let the levers move freely. You can use grease, or a spray penetrating oil like PB Blaster.

/ hydraulics or freezing rain issue on backhoe?
the answer was simpler than I had imagined...the control lever had pivoted so that it wasn't allowing the valve to open all the way...a simple nut adjustment to reorient the lever was all it took....and the job finished...

thanks for the feedback, John.

/ hydraulics or freezing rain issue on backhoe? #6  
Your welcome John, I just knew it was something simple:D:D:D:D