Hydraulic Top link installation on JD855

/ Hydraulic Top link installation on JD855 #1  

shooterdon

Elite Member
Near Johannesburg MI but in the middle of nowhere
Tractor
2019 LS XR4140 HST Cab; 2020 Kawasaki Mule SX; 2021 Bad Boy 54" ZT Elite
I posted about adding an linear actuator on another thread and got beat up about doing such a silly thing...but it was good advice in the end, so no feelings hurt. As a newbie to working with hydraulics, I need a bit of hand holding as I know doing something ignorant can get me hurt.

I have found these cylinders: NPT Cat 1: 18 1/8" - 26 3/8" | Agristore USA | Indianapolis, IN | AGRISTORE USA

Is this a good valve? 12 GPM 1 Spool Hydraulic Valve | Agristore USA | Indianapolis, IN | AGRISTORE USA

It looks like about $300 plus whatever hoses, piping, fittings I need.

Can I use hydraulic hoses or is hard piping needed?

Has anyone added a hydraulic top link to their JD885 and could you offer suggestions on how and where to mount the valve, run lines, and hooking up?

Thanks,

/ Hydraulic Top link installation on JD855 #2  
You can use hoses in place of hard lines for just about any typical agg installation...
Do some searching for valve mounting locations...for both simplicity and ergonomics...

Good Luck...

/ Hydraulic Top link installation on JD855
Talked to the local JD dealer about adding the hydraulic top link. They called me back and told me JD no longer makes parts to support a third valve and they were not interested in doing the work even if I supplied the valve and cylinder. Must be nice to be that busy!

Saw an old thread from 2003/4 on a guy who did the install on his 855. May need to tackle this myself if I want it badly enough.

https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums...c-top-link-tnt-without.html?referrerid=181559

/ Hydraulic Top link installation on JD855 #4  
I suggest using JIC fittings for your hoses. They're a lot easier to connect without leaks than NPT or other tapered pipe threads, they're not damaged by repeated fastening and do not need any pipe dope. You'll need adaptors to the various components.

There are different schools of thought on check valve vs no check valve. Non check valve should cost less. My top and side links don't have check valves and I don't see a need for them. Any leak down is minor and a quick adjustment at the start of a work session takes care of it. I'm using the factory Branson valves. A good name brand valve ought to have a pretty low leakage rate.

/ Hydraulic Top link installation on JD855 #5  
I suggest using JIC fittings for your hoses. They're a lot easier to connect without leaks than NPT or other tapered pipe threads, they're not damaged by repeated fastening and do not need any pipe dope. You'll need adaptors to the various components....

Nothing against JIC but...FWIW...NPSM swivel fittings are a step better than JIC type flares...they can be found in most common port connectors and all allow the use of simple straight pipe (NPT) hose ends...this makes ordering hoses a breeze and very economical...

NPSM fittings are less expensive than JIC hose end fittings...they do not require any sealant and are entirely reusable...