hydraulic oil life

/ hydraulic oil life #31  
I’m afraid you’ve lost me. There’s hydraulic oil or transmission/hydraulic oil. They are not the same. It’s not of ANY importance to have an easy name, but of the UTMOST importance to ask for the correct oil for an hydraulic application or transmission/hydraulic application. Don’t lead equipment owners astray!!

What you need to ask for is an oil meeting a certain specification to make sure you get the right oil for your specific piece of equipment rather than just "transmission/hydraulic fluid." That specification usually is a manufacturer certification specification such as JD J20C but may also be an ISO/SAE viscosity grade (e.g. ISO 48) or fluid type (e.g. Type F automatic transmission fluid), or sometimes even a manufacturer's specific product (e.g. Mobil 1 15W-50.) Note that those examples are real, I have had or used equipment that have called for each of those types of fluids in a transmission/hydraulic setup. I've also used hydraulic setups that did not include a transmission that used those same fluids too (especially ATF.)

/ hydraulic oil life #32  
I guess my point was to make sure that folks realize that there’s more than just hydraulic oil out there. Don’t just grab something off the shelf without researching what oil is actually required….😉

/ hydraulic oil life #33  
I follow the Kubota manual, I changed the filters when required and I did the SUDT2 at 50 and 450. This summer I will do the 850.

It holds around 11 gallons, but I only get about 8 out of it. I use 5 gallon pails. I open the two side plugs first, then I open the bigger

one. The big one gives me almost 5 gallons. I haven't tested the oil, but it looks good on the dipstick, but is black as ever in a white

pail.

Attachments

• WP_20161020_001.jpg
    WP_20161020_001.jpg
    727.5 KB · Views: 66
   / hydraulic oil life #34  
'Why do they put the filters underneath??' Right on rScotty. I saw a 4cyl Subaru Outback; lift the hood, the filter is right there;
fitting side down and with a catch bowl.

/ hydraulic oil life #35  
'Why do they put the filters underneath??' Right on rScotty. I saw a 4cyl Subaru Outback; lift the hood, the filter is right there;
fitting side down and with a catch bowl.
Probably for the same reason as why the drain plug is underneath: Gravity.

The Pentastar V6s have their filters on top, which ensures an empty filter at each startup. But they do make an aftermarket check valve setup for those.

So, if I'm underneath the vehicle anyway to drain the oil, why not deal with the filter at the same time?

/ hydraulic oil life #36  
I would change anytime that the red color is getting dark then
its differently time to change!

willy