hydraulic oil life

/ hydraulic oil life #11  
First I drain then remove the filter and I don't have a mess

willy

/ hydraulic oil life #12  
First I drain then remove the filter and I don't have a mess

willy
Nothing wrong with doing it that way. People do it with engine oil all the time. The problem is there is enough hydraulic oil in most tractors to swamp most oil pans.

Draining hydraulic oil into a pan in one shot means having a pan that holds 13 to 15 gallons and then having enough lip on the pan so as to be able to slide that monster out from under the tractor.

Not everyone has such a huge oil pan. Or can handle the weight. And once you've got that pan successfully out from under the tractor without making a mess, how do you empty it? And into what?
That pan of oil now weighs over 100 lbs....

/ hydraulic oil life #13  
rScotty............I hate you;) You wnat to take all of the fun out of doing the hydraulic oil change...:ROFLMAO:

/ hydraulic oil life #14  
rScotty............I hate you;) You wnat to take all of the fun out of doing the hydraulic oil change...:ROFLMAO:
I was just wondering how many of us had pushed their 5 gallon oil pan under there and pulled the drain plug? And for those that did, what did they think when it just kept on coming?

/ hydraulic oil life #15  
The vacuum trick works very well on my CK30HST, hardly lose a drop….but the key is to have a helper hold that vacuum tightly onto the filler hole for a good seal 😉

/ hydraulic oil life #16  
I was just wondering how many of us had pushed their 5 gallon oil pan under there and pulled the drain plug? And for those that did, what did they think when it just kept on coming?
There's a country song that says "What was I thinking?" :unsure:

Cheers,
Mike

/ hydraulic oil life #17  
Why do they put the filters underneath?? It's a FILTER. It can go anywhere.
That's one of the things I love about my 2008 Toyota 4runner. The oil filter is on the top of the engine where you can easily get to it. It has a little catch basin that surrounds it with a drain. You can easily hold an empty pop can on the drain to catch any oil that comes out as you unscrew the filter. Brilliant design IMO.

/ hydraulic oil life #18  
My last tractor (no service on the new TYM yet), when I changed the filter annually, I would loose about 2 gallons of oil. I figured 2 fresh gallons a year was enough. I average about 200 hours a year.

/ hydraulic oil life #19  
Cap for me is 8.2 gal and with 2 small paint pails and 2 5 gal
pails works great. Then again you could always put a ball valve
in and just turn the little handle:giggle:

willy

/ hydraulic oil life #20  
The old fashion way was to have a look at the oil, if it's getting a bit black, or it looks a bit milky, or you can feel it a bit gritty when you rub it between your fingers, then maybe it's time for a change. But if it's nice and clean and slippery, then maybe have another look later.