hummingbirds

/ hummingbirds #21  
I was gone for the weekend (step-grandson graduated police academy and starts work tomorrow - woohoo!). Left two feeders high to avoid bears - both had less than an inch drop in level. Today only saw one before dusk, but was not watching much before. They've certainly thinned out - we have a lot of smoke from the fires in CA too, don't know if that would have an effect on them.

/ hummingbirds #22  
Still had three hanging around south central Iowa this past weekend. Had two nights in the 40's. Thought they would move on. Predicting low 80's this week, so I refilled the feeders and will see what they do.

/ hummingbirds #23  
Yes, that's right. Please leave the feeders out because there may be stragglers or birds with a bad sense of direction. They will all migrate when Mother Nature tells them to.
Didn't all y'all move when Mama hollered at you?
LOL. Hahahahaha.
So far I've only seen Ruby Throats, but a couple of years ago I saw a migrant bird that was about the size of a sparrow and with his wings he made the tin on the roof of the carport vibrate! What could he have been?

Scott

Drone!

/ hummingbirds #24  
Just saw a special last night on hummingbirds,amazeing birds for sure.They stock up around the Gulf of Mexico and then make the long flight to South America.

/ hummingbirds #25  
humming birds 037 - Copy.JPG

I live south of Houston Texas.. They start showing up around the 1st of Sept.. There maybe hundred or more feeding.. then one day in Oct.. they leave almost overnight.. Lou

/ hummingbirds #26  
Three or four still a round today, they say up here to take the feeders down on the 15th to frce them to leave. what do i do ?

/ hummingbirds #28  
Please leave the hummingbird feeders up, not only for the birds with no sense of direction, and the birds that procrastinate about making that long journey, but rather leave the feeders up with somewhat sweeter sugar water in them for the weak, tired, injured and old birds that possibly won't go. The sweeter sugar water will help our little friends be better prepared!
If you find any dead hummingbirds that are in good condition, your local college or university might would like to have it.
If you have a hummingbird that just won't go south after its turned cold, if you have a warm greenhouse, it may be persuaded to stay and overwinter in it.

/ hummingbirds #29  
I won't take ours down until I've not seen a bird in two weeks. Just had 3 more travelers stop in last nite. I'm making a new batch of nectar now and will only put 1 cup in each feeder. If they go through that I'll repeat the quantity until their finally gone.
That's an old wives tale about forcing them to migrate. Mother nature is the one they obey.

/ hummingbirds #30  
We are still seeing them in south central Iowa. I also leave my feeders on until I see no birds for few weeks.