hummingbirds

/ hummingbirds #41  
I've seen half a dozen today, but no more than two at a time, we are for sure thinning out. And several have been carrying tiny little bags with airline stickers on them.

/ hummingbirds #42  
I'm down to an occasional bird. I've got to believe they're pretty much through this area. I'll probably take the feeders down sometime this week.

/ hummingbirds #43  
Wife saw two at the acreage in south central Iowa on Friday, never saw any Saturday or Sunday. Seems they have packed up and headed south. Still plenty of flowers blooming, but I guess their calender says it's time to go. Left the feeders up for another week. Supposed to cool off on Tuesday, guess fall is here whether we like it or not.

/ hummingbirds #44  
Haven't seen any here since for about four days. It's about time that they left. It's a long way from here to the gulf coast.

/ hummingbirds #45  
Here, they show up on April 1 and then are all gone by October 1. This cycle has been this way now for the last 10 recorded years. September 1st we had 27. Started the year with 4 males and 6 females staying by April 15. That population continued to grow with hatchlings showing up perhaps every 3 weeks. So, we pretty much tripled the population here over the summer. I know that our house cat got 2 and probably more...........

So, after the hard winter last year, we recovered pretty well. Our all time high back in 2005 was 58 on 7 feeders......LOTS OF SUGAR... The worst year for a population was actually last summer..... we had all of 12 birds at the end of the summer and that had pretty much remained a constant. Started off that season with 5 birds....

Now, if only we could do the same with quail........ God bless......Dennis

/ hummingbirds #47  
I haven't seen a hummer, even here in north Texas, in over a week. They'd been going through the sugar water pretty quickly, but it doesn't appear to have been touched in the last week.

/ hummingbirds #48  
Most of ours have gone, but still have about a dozen...mostly females and young. Usually see the last one in early/mid-October.

/ hummingbirds #49  
We're doing what we can to encourage them to "Do the right thing", but clearly we are dealing with a recalcitrant bird here. IMG_1197.jpg