How to remove excess grease?

/ How to remove excess grease? #12  
WD-40 works exceptionally well to remove grease. I get the gallon can (non-aerosol) and use old rags to remove the excess grease.

It will also remove adhesive and even "construction adhesive" as long as it's still wet.:)

Last edited:
   / How to remove excess grease? #13  
Rubbing alcohol and rags works well. I worked at a stable years ago and we used to rub the show carts down with grease, especially the iron. Then we'd wrap it all with leg wraps. That would protect against rust and moisture. In the spring we'd unwrap everything and clean it all up with rubbing alcohol. Worked great.

/ How to remove excess grease? #14  
Purple Power works and is cheap. Wipe as much grease off as you can first so it doesn't spread and be careful around stickers with that as well as any petroleum based product.

/ How to remove excess grease? #15  
I have for VERY long found mineral spirits to be the ideal solvent for most anything sticky/greasy. Plus, it is readily available, reasonably cheap, will harm no finishes that I am aware of, harms no plastics or other vulnerable materials that I am aware of, and doesn't smell too bad!

I keep little squirt bottles of it around. Just dampen paper towels or rags with a bit and easily wipe off your grease.

Amazon.com : MoYo Natural Labs 4 oz Squirt Bottles, Squeezable Empty Travel Containers, BPA Free HDPE Plastic for Essential Oils and Liquids, Toiletry/Cosmetic Bottles (2-41) (Pack of 4, HDPE Translucent White) : Beauty

/ How to remove excess grease? #16  
Purple Power works and is cheap. Wipe as much grease off as you can first so it doesn't spread and be careful around stickers with that as well as any petroleum based product.

Purple Power does work well. I pour mine into a two-gallon garden sprayer and leave it there. I spray it on liberally down to all the crevices and hard to get at places and let it sit until it starts to evaporate, then hit is again and wait again, then use the pressure washer.

/ How to remove excess grease? #17  
WD-40 works exceptionally well to remove grease. I get the gallon can (non-aerosol) and use old rags to remove the excess grease.

It will also remove adhesive and even "construction adhesive" as long as it's still wet.:)

I'll have to give that a try. I have a number of WD-40 aerosol cans that are out of gas. I drill a hole in the top and pour the liquid into a bottle to use later. I also have the gallon cans.

/ How to remove excess grease? #18  
One of my 'go to' items is Oven cleaner in the aerosol cans.
One brand is Jifoam and note that local dollar stores carry it generally as well.

First wipe off as much as U can with rags then spray the Oven cleaner followed by water spray with pressure washer the best.
Rinse generously after using the oven cleaner.

PS: Oven cleaner works for oily engins and carburetors as well.

It is caustic so rinse well!

/ How to remove excess grease? #19  
My fave is zep, fast 505, find it at home cheapo

slicker than snot taking off grease...

/ How to remove excess grease? #20  
Spray on Sudsy Ammonia then pressure washer. You can buy it or DIY your own SA with water, ammonia and Dawn dish soap. The base qualities of Ammonia really cuts grease and oil and the Dawn is the surfactant. I use it on my tractor and skid steer and they are just about the greasiest and oiliest beasts around.

SimS