How to lube Husq sprocket tip

/ How to lube Husq sprocket tip #11  
I haven't greased the tip in years. There are two schools of thought; grease it often, or not at all.
If you don't grease, the B&C oil keeps it lubed. If you do grease, do it often. The grease forms a ring around the bearing, which prevents the oil from getting to it.

/ How to lube Husq sprocket tip #13  
I haven't greased the tip in years. There are two schools of thought; grease it often, or not at all.
If you don't grease, the B&C oil keeps it lubed. If you do grease, do it often. The grease forms a ring around the bearing, which prevents the oil from getting to it.
If you say so. I don't see that myself.

/ How to lube Husq sprocket tip #14  
Obvious to me the OP cannot differentiate between the Word Husqvarna and the more common term 'Husky'.

/ How to lube Husq sprocket tip #15  
My stihl doesnt have one, and bar is over 20 years old. I would think oil from chain oiler can handle the lube.

Yes, that is new method, bar and chain oil takes care of any needed on the nose also. I have worn out one nose sprocked since the greaseless thing came in but that bar had eaten years and hundreds, possiblly into the thousands of cords of wood. It didn't owe me anything.

/ How to lube Husq sprocket tip #16  
I'd like someone to explain to me how the needle bearings in a sprocket nose can be lubricated by bar oil when the bar oil is flung by centrifugal force away from the sprocket tip...

Why I only buy greaseable sprocket nose bars. Candidly, I don't care what anyone does. What I do and what you do are different things. As an aside, all professional sprocket nose bars like Carleton's for instance, have greaseable noses. What I run, always have. I grease them before every use.

/ How to lube Husq sprocket tip #17  
I'd like someone to explain to me how the needle bearings in a sprocket nose can be lubricated by bar oil when the bar oil is flung by centrifugal force away from the sprocket tip...

Why I only buy greaseable sprocket nose bars. Candidly, I don't care what anyone does. What I do and what you do are different things. As an aside, all professional sprocket nose bars like Carleton's for instance, have greaseable noses. What I run, always have. I grease them before every use.

I haven’t greased mine ever and after years of use the bar is worn enough that it needs replaced and the tip is fine.

/ How to lube Husq sprocket tip #18  
This is the answer right here.

/ How to lube Husq sprocket tip #19  
We use saws in a more "professional" manner and go through bars. We wear them out or even bend them and never grease them. Glad to not have to. None are Husky.

Last edited:
   / How to lube Husq sprocket tip #20  
Greetings. I bought a new 20" Husq bar and chain for my 445 at Tractor Supply. Every other sprocket tip bar I've had for any chainsaw has had a small hole to lube the tip with grease. This new Husq bar doesn't have any hole. How do I lube this thing? Any ideas?
Thanks.
Nibbana
Most of the time I find that a bar nose fails because it's been pinched. The bent metal around the sprocket causes it to fail.

If you use high quality bar oil, some of it will make its way into that bearing. Not much, but it doesn't take much.

There's a school of thought that continually greasing the bar forces dirt and contaminates in along with grease, and after the initial greasing, you're better off not greasing.

I think you'll find plenty in both camps that "have never had a bar nose fail". I run bars between 12" and 42", and the bars I see with issues tend to be because of lack of oil (generally plugged oil passage in the bar, generally from a friend's saw), or damage of some kind from being bent or pinched. I have never applied grease after the initial, brand new greasing.

It is far more important to pay attention to whether the saw is oiling - hold the bar tip just away from something (tree bark, etc), and run the saw at full throttle. You'll see a stripe of bar oil be sprayed on to it. I always do this after messing with a bar, to ensure it is lubricating properly and not clogged.