How to lube Husq sprocket tip

/ How to lube Husq sprocket tip #1  

NibbanaFarm

Silver Member
Tractor
BCS 739, Cub Cadet 2544
Greetings. I bought a new 20" Husq bar and chain for my 445 at Tractor Supply. Every other sprocket tip bar I've had for any chainsaw has had a small hole to lube the tip with grease. This new Husq bar doesn't have any hole. How do I lube this thing? Any ideas?
Thanks.
Nibbana

/ How to lube Husq sprocket tip #2  
Dip in oil.

/ How to lube Husq sprocket tip #3  
You cannot. It's sealed for 'life' whatever life is. Could be years, could be hours. Why I buy Carleton bars with replaceable, greaseable roller noses from Baileys.

Just my preference. Never had a roller nose fail, ever. I've worn out bars in the past however. When the bar looses all rock, I spin or grind out the rivets on the nose and put it on a new one.

/ How to lube Husq sprocket tip #5  
I see Stihl is going to the sealed roller nose as well.
Stihl has been using the sealed nose bars for years. First I have heard on Husqvarna but the general rule has always been either grease it every use or don't grease at all Intermittent greasing is the biggest issue they claim that leads to failure.

/ How to lube Husq sprocket tip #6  
My stihl doesnt have one, and bar is over 20 years old. I would think oil from chain oiler can handle the lube.

/ How to lube Husq sprocket tip #7  
All depends on how you use the bar and how much swarf gets lodged in the sprocket bearing actually. Plunge cutting can and will cause roller nose failure and I grease mine before every use anyway.

/ How to lube Husq sprocket tip #8  
My Husqvarna dealer told me over 40 years ago not to bother with greasing the roller because they usually last longer when not greased, greasing seems to force dirt into the bearings

/ How to lube Husq sprocket tip #9  
I have not greased a bar tip in 15 years and have not had problems using mostly Oregon or Husqvarna and Jonsered bars, even with lots of bore cutting. I did lose the tip on a Tsumura bar after what I thought was rather short usage, but those bars are known for having weak tips.

Some chains claim to do a better job of distributing oil along the bar as well. I've never really tried to track that.

/ How to lube Husq sprocket tip
My Husqvarna dealer told me over 40 years ago not to bother with greasing the roller because they usually last longer when not greased, greasing seems to force dirt into the bearings
I've owned a Pioneer, McCullock and Homelite in the past. Always greased the sprockets and never had a problem. I bought the Husq 445 new five or ten years ago. It came with a 16" bar with greaseable sprocket tip. I usually grease it every day. I was cutting up a tree in January and forgot to grease the tip and it seized up. I was able to free it up and get grease in there and it's fine now. Surprisingly, the owner's manual says to grease it each time you refuel. I bought the 20" bar for a bigger job. It's the first I've ever seen that wasn't greaseable.