How much HP do I need?

/ How much HP do I need? #1  

krag101

Tractor
Kubota
This is my first post here and I'm sure Ill have many more questions, so as a starter. I picked up a small mini type bulldozer (like a Struck) But homemade. IIRC back in the 1970s you could order plans to build one from the back of Popular Mechanic's. This was originally chain drive with a transaxle and steering was with brake calipers/rotors. Somewhere down the line that was all stripped out and started to be replaced with a hydro unit, what I have are 2 hydraulic motors and a 30 GPM pump. I looked on line and found a formula to figure out the HP needed but 600 just doesn't sound right even to me!
I've looked at some of the China excavators and they seem to be in the 13-15 HP range, so would I be ok using an old Wisconsin cast iron 18HP engine?
Such a simple thing, just wait till I get to the REAL hydraulic's!

/ How much HP do I need? #2  
Generic rule of thumb is 1 HP will provide 1 GPM flow at 1500 PSI so 30 GPM at 3000 would be 60 HP.

/ How much HP do I need? #3  
I'm not sure about your hydraulic setup. Most dozers run pretty slowly.

The Oliver HG dozer had somewhere around 20 to 25 HP.
The John Deere Lindeman crawler had a little under 20 HP.

Some of the old Bobcat Skidsteers used Wisconsin 4 cylinder air cooled engines (that are still quite common). However, that is probably quite a bit hotter than your mini dozer.

My guess is you'd get it moving with your pump and hydraulic motors, and a small Wisconsin motor. At least it wouldn't hurt to try it out if you can get any couplers needed to work.

/ How much HP do I need? #4  
This is my first post here and I'm sure Ill have many more questions, so as a starter. I picked up a small mini type bulldozer (like a Struck) But homemade. IIRC back in the 1970s you could order plans to build one from the back of Popular Mechanic's. This was originally chain drive with a transaxle and steering was with brake calipers/rotors. Somewhere down the line that was all stripped out and started to be replaced with a hydro unit, what I have are 2 hydraulic motors and a 30 GPM pump. I looked on line and found a formula to figure out the HP needed but 600 just doesn't sound right even to me!
I've looked at some of the China excavators and they seem to be in the 13-15 HP range, so would I be ok using an old Wisconsin cast iron 18HP engine?
Such a simple thing, just wait till I get to the REAL hydraulic's!
IMO, someone didn’t set you up with the right parts. A small magnatrac type uses 11+hp
I’d start by checking motor size to pump size then hp requirements

/ How much HP do I need? #7  
你在哪裡使用它?translated is "...Where do you use it?..."

Are you fluent in what is presumably Mandarin? Or did you use Google translate? If the former, what an excellent skill.

/ How much HP do I need? #8  
Google translate... I have a hard enough time with plain old English!!!

Edit: not sure if this link will work or not: (works for me but it might just be because of my saved cookies) There's another thread he wrote on about a bale spear...

/ How much HP do I need?
I'm not sure about your hydraulic setup. Most dozers run pretty slowly.

The Oliver HG dozer had somewhere around 20 to 25 HP.
The John Deere Lindeman crawler had a little under 20 HP.

Some of the old Bobcat Skidsteers used Wisconsin 4 cylinder air cooled engines (that are still quite common). However, that is probably quite a bit hotter than your mini dozer.

My guess is you'd get it moving with your pump and hydraulic motors, and a small Wisconsin motor. At least it wouldn't hurt to try it out if you can get any couplers needed to work.
Well, I do have a long way to go, so I think I will give it a try That is unless some other engine come up. I'm really surprised that those crawlers had so little HP! I'm beginning to realize just how little I know about hydraulics or how much there is to know. Thanks for the reply!