How Many Have More Than One Tractor?

/ How Many Have More Than One Tractor? #151  
Based on observation of myself, not necessarily a deliberately and consciously chosen principle, it seems that I have a belief that anything worth owning is worth having more than one of. My wife and I realized at one point that the number of things we have multiples of felt a bit ridiculous. Mostly simple tools, mind you, but it happens more often than not that if someone asks something like, "Do you have a chainsaw?" my answer is, "Well, yeah, I have four of them." Or, "Do you have a backhoe?" "Why, I have two of them, of course."

/ How Many Have More Than One Tractor? #152  
Based on observation of myself, not necessarily a deliberately and consciously chosen principle, it seems that I have a belief that anything worth owning is worth having more than one of. My wife and I realized at one point that the number of things we have multiples of felt a bit ridiculous. Mostly simple tools, mind you, but it happens more often than not that if someone asks something like, "Do you have a chainsaw?" my answer is, "Well, yeah, I have four of them." Or, "Do you have a backhoe?" "Why, I have two of them, of course."
How many wives? :ROFLMAO:

/ How Many Have More Than One Tractor? #153  
For years, I just had one tractor with a loader, and when it was down, I had to get creative when it was time to feed a round bale. Most common reason for that tractor to be down was a blown hose, but it could be anything, and it usually takes me a week to get the old part off, go to town to buy the new part, and then get it back together.

Now I have three loaders and it's so much nicer when something breaks down. I might have to drag a batwing behind me when getting that round bale, but that's a lot better then hooking up a hay spear to the 3 point hitch and not being able to put the bale in the cradle. They go through the bale twice as fast if it's on the ground without a ring around it.

IMG_1549.JPG

/ How Many Have More Than One Tractor? #154  
Branson 3120 which I bought new in 2011. Has FEL. Bought a CASE IH Farmall 50A new in 2016. No FEL. Use the CASE for brush hogging 11 acres of pasture and several acres of pines; as well as pulling a 'Bush-N-Bog' (aka New Ground) disc set. Use the Branson for most other things including pulling a 5 foot brush hog thru some of the closer planted pines; also for moving large round bales. For what it's worth, I also have a 1952 Farmall Cub 'yard ornament'.

/ How Many Have More Than One Tractor? #155  
For years, I just had one tractor with a loader, and when it was down, I had to get creative when it was time to feed a round bale. Most common reason for that tractor to be down was a blown hose, but it could be anything, and it usually takes me a week to get the old part off, go to town to buy the new part, and then get it back together.

Now I have three loaders and it's so much nicer when something breaks down. I might have to drag a batwing behind me when getting that round bale, but that's a lot better then hooking up a hay spear to the 3 point hitch and not being able to put the bale in the cradle. They go through the bale twice as fast if it's on the ground without a ring around it.

View attachment 833133
I know that drill, I spent enough time rolling a 4x5 bale into a pickup with BX2200 and rolling back off at the cattle. Still better than hauling small loads in a yard trailer and an ATV.

/ How Many Have More Than One Tractor? #156  
For years, I just had one tractor with a loader,

This was me. Then my trusty old John Deere lost an engine - antifreeze drained into the crankcase. I called around to several dealers and was told it would be anywhere from $15,000 to $20,000 for a rebuilt engine - or to have them rebuild mine. This for a tractor I'd paid only $7,000 for. Not going to happen!

So I began my search for another tractor and lucked out, finding a Kubota M7060 with barely any hours on it and the price was right so I bought it.

Wouldn't you know it...a few months later I found out that a guy I used to work with collected old tractors and restored them. I contacted him. For $3000 he rebuilt the whole engine in the John Deere plus did a few other things this 60 year old tractor needed. That was over 5 years ago and I've been using both tractors and wondering how I ever got by with only one!

/ How Many Have More Than One Tractor? #157  
I run into that more and more… both the convenience of multiple tractors and also the discrepancy in the cost of repairs… somebody must be spending 15-20k but no body I know…

/ How Many Have More Than One Tractor? #158  
IMG_4773.jpeg

We have two .

A couple that tractors 🚜 together , stays together.

/ How Many Have More Than One Tractor? #159  
All 8 tractors are functional if you consider functional less than 8 hours of work. If not, 4 are functional.

/ How Many Have More Than One Tractor? #160  
Why would anyone have just one? What would you do if it got stuck in a swamp and needed to be pulled out?

Good point. That's when it helps if you have friends.

Recently, I have been a little more daring and got hung up a few times. Fortunately, I was able to use my Jeep Trailhawk to tug it out.