How many CFM's for a tractor heater???

/ How many CFM's for a tractor heater??? #1  

mcd176

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota M6800HD / Kubota B2150
As alot of you know I am building a cab for my L4200, and I am working on the Heating system, my question is this: How many CFM fan should I use for my heater, The heater I have is similar to the ones that SIMS makes for its cabs, SIMS lists there fan at 150 CFM, do you all think that will be sufficent or should I go with more CFM's and put it on a switch to adjust fan speed?

Mike

/ How many CFM's for a tractor heater??? #2  
Heating doesn't require a high air flow except you need enough to clear the windows. You may find that you should include ac as well to have a defrost setting too. If you run heat only then 150 to 300 cfm is okay, if you go with ac you will need more maybe 800 cfm.

Steve

/ How many CFM's for a tractor heater??? #4  
How about a rear bus type heater?? Core and fan all in one??

That is what we are going to run.

/ How many CFM's for a tractor heater??? #5  
I used a computer 4" muffin fan.
Cost was about $6.00 and current draw less than 1 amp. and available in 12 VDC.
They are only 1 in. thick and run on ball bearings as well.
I adapted mine to fit an old rear under the seat school bus heater and am more than satisfied with the results.

As to a rheostat, forget about it, just flip the switch off when it gets too hot!
That wont happen often as your biggest heat loss will be the floor area with slits for peddals etc and (if like mine) the punched out holes for drainage and anti slip.
Because the coldest area is the floor, I mounted my heater upper right front corner of my cab as my head is never there, blows heat down to where it is most needed and since warm air rises the upper body area is always comfy.

Also up front gets the blown air onto the windshield. (you can slightly tilt the heater forwards to assure that or add a small metal deflector to accomplish that function)

Good luck, have fun!

/ How many CFM's for a tractor heater???
Thanks Piloon!