How heavy a fork for MX5100?

/ How heavy a fork for MX5100? #1  

FatTire

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L5740, Unimog 404 w/ snowblower, Deere 620i UTV, MX5100 (sold)
I'm trying to decide on an appropriate 42 inch pallet fork for MX5100 (quick attach). We want to handle pallets and building materials which typically will be less than 1000lbs, but there will also be some more abusive "off-label" use such as big logs, rocks, etc. I've seen that pallet forks with 2500 or greater capacity weigh as little as 250 lbs, and on up to 400+ lbs for stout forks with 4k lb capacity or more. MX5100 loader is rated at 2400 lbs at the pins. What do you guys think? Go big? How likely to bend these things?

/ How heavy a fork for MX5100? #2  
I'm trying to decide on an appropriate 42 inch pallet fork for MX5100 (quick attach). We want to handle pallets and building materials which typically will be less than 1000lbs, but there will also be some more abusive "off-label" use such as big logs, rocks, etc. I've seen that pallet forks with 2500 or greater capacity weigh as little as 250 lbs, and on up to 400+ lbs for stout forks with 4k lb capacity or more. MX5100 loader is rated at 2400 lbs at the pins. What do you guys think? Go big? How likely to bend these things?

My forks are rated for 1800, an my loader for 14 hundred something. So that said, with your loader, I would be looking at 3000 lb forks at least. sometimes you do quite a bit of Prying around on rocks in the ground and things, so I would give up a little weight lift for durability assurances.

James K0UA

/ How heavy a fork for MX5100? #3  
My forks are rated for 1800, an my loader for 14 hundred something. So that said, with your loader, I would be looking at 3000 lb forks at least. sometimes you do quite a bit of Prying around on rocks in the ground and things, so I would give up a little weight lift for durability assurances.

James K0UA

Don't know what my self designed clamp on bucket forks are "rated" at. I calculated they are good for +2000 lbs each. I never bent a fork untill I did the above, using just one fork. I second at least 2,500 or 3000#

I used my excavator to bend it back. It very handy tp have around , like duct tape!

I can lift about a 1,800 lb pallet

/ How heavy a fork for MX5100? #4  
I used my excavator to bend it back. It very handy to have around , like duct tape!

Handy to have "tools" isn't it?:)

James K0UA

/ How heavy a fork for MX5100? #5  
I don't know how much prying I would be doing with a set of forks. Once you bend one it's never going to be as strong and it's real nice to have them parallel with each other when picking things up. As for size, I think you could get away with 2000lb forks but I'm also one of the safety factor type people and would probably get a minimum of 2500lb. I'll probably pick up a set of 4000lbs for my Kubota (about the same loader as the 5100) since a sponsor here sells a set for just over $500.

/ How heavy a fork for MX5100?
Its a nice situation to be in, several different products to choose from that seem to be well made at a decent price.

/ How heavy a fork for MX5100? #7  
I was going to get a pretty heavy duty set from Everything Attachments but Ted advised me to get what he felt was a sturdier set for my L5740. No regrets at all. I have had them to the limit, a pallet with a bag of seed wheat on it that was weighed at 2080 pounds. My loader is rated for more but the bag is 4 foot square so it puts the CG well in front of the pivot points. It would just barley get the pallet off the ground so I could move it. The forks did fine. I have. Also had loads near the tips of the forks that the loader wouldn't lift. Price, was good too. I had seen too many at auctions that were bent up, and later I saw a set of the forks I had intended to buy at an auction - with enough damage to make me glad Ted talked me into the set I got.

/ How heavy a fork for MX5100? #8  
I have a MX and my forks are at 4k and I have had no problem . I like to put them together and run them in the ground under stumps to break roots. After a time or two around you can pop it right out .(small one ) Make sure that you have the right weight on back to keep from tipping back of tractor up . ( I have 900lb )

/ How heavy a fork for MX5100? #9  
I have 48" forks rated for 4k on my L5740 and have had no problems with them.

/ How heavy a fork for MX5100? #10  
I use 4k's on mine also without any problems