How hard are armadillos to kill?

/ How hard are armadillos to kill? #32  
Very concerned!!
Over here in south Lousyanna one can generally cancel a dillos lease with a head shot or maybe two body shots using a .22 rimfire. Body hits will usually have them moving like a bottle rocket for a ways then they layover & die. If we get some of those ā€œSuper Dillosā€ moving in I might have to resort to the old Browning BPS & buckshot.

/ How hard are armadillos to kill? #33  
.223 Ruger ranch rifle with Hornady Superformance varmint 55 grain does a number on them (or anything else). Seems like every time I shoot one though, 5 more take its place.

Eliminate their food source & they will vacate (usually over to your neighbors )

/ How hard are armadillos to kill? #34  
Apparently a few inches of snow along with cold weather eliminates them as I've never seen or heard of any around Northern Indiana.

/ How hard are armadillos to kill? #35  
Armadillos are almost blind and are fairly easy to catch. When one is spotted walking leisurely around the yard stopping to nibble every now and then, you must sneak up behind it very quietly (impossible to do in the fall with crispy leaves on the ground) and grab the middle of its tail with a very solid grip and lift it up immediately. It will give a very hard jump when grabbed so you must hold it firmly. Do not let its front feet hit the ground because it can dig so fast and then latch on to the inside of the hole so tightly that you will be unable to pull it out.

They were very common at a large horse barn that I rented a stall at to keep my horse in years ago and I used to catch them, paint racing stripes and numbers on them and release them. This practice ended when I found out that one of the other tenants whipped his little boy for telling such a far out tale of seeing an armadillo that was red and blue and had the number 66 on its side.

/ How hard are armadillos to kill? #36  
To catch a unique rabbit unique up on it. How to catch a unique armadillo though?

/ How hard are armadillos to kill? #37  
Armadillos are almost blind and are fairly easy to catch. When one is spotted walking leisurely around the yard stopping to nibble every now and then, you must sneak up behind it very quietly (impossible to do in the fall with crispy leaves on the ground) and grab the middle of its tail with a very solid grip and lift it up immediately. It will give a very hard jump when grabbed so you must hold it firmly. Do not let its front feet hit the ground because it can dig so fast and then latch on to the inside of the hole so tightly that you will be unable to pull it out.

They were very common at a large horse barn that I rented a stall at to keep my horse in years ago and I used to catch them, paint racing stripes and numbers on them and release them. This practice ended when I found out that one of the other tenants whipped his little boy for telling such a far out tale of seeing an armadillo that was red and blue and had the number 66 on its side.
I would pay to watch someone do this...

/ How hard are armadillos to kill? #39  
I was surprised to find that we have them in SC. But they tear up a yard in a heartbeat looking for grubs and such. Keep your yard and landscaping treated for insects and grubs, and you shouldn't have problems with them, other than watching them pass thru your yard on the way somewhere else.

I've killed 2 since we've lived at our current house. Had to empty a clip of 9mm on one of them to kill him. If you can get one to the head, which is small, death is instantaneous. Hit the armor on the back, odds are in his favor.

My old neighbor used a .22 rifle and usually killed them with one shot. I think the smaller the round the better as a general rule. One word of caution...don't shoot one right next to your house. If you get a kill shot, it'll spray blood all over. My neighbor spent 3 days trying to clean the blood off his house after he shot one next to his foundation.