How big of a rock/boulder can a 60 HP tractor push on relatively flat dirt?

/ How big of a rock/boulder can a 60 HP tractor push on relatively flat dirt? #41  
You would think the weight distribution of using forks might be hard on the forks but I guess that depends on what your forks are rates for huh? But I can definitely see that forks would do a good job of getting under the full width of a large rock compared to a bucket.
Probably easier on the forks than trying to jamb a big rock into a bucket.

Weight is your friend when moving heavy stuff. If I have my BH on I can push heavier stuff than with some other attachment. Trying to do it with no counter weight is hopeless. I have 5,500 lbs powered forks so I can go wide and try to bring the CofG closer to the loader. I can't push a 2+ ton root ball/stump with a bucket because it wants to dig in and roll. With the forks I can usually curl it enough that the same root ball will slide on the ground. Remember to go slow and avoid turns (especially sharp turn) unless you want to be replacing your front ring and pinion gears.

/ How big of a rock/boulder can a 60 HP tractor push on relatively flat dirt? #42  
I need to push some fairly large rocks around. I've was able to push many of them with a 70 hp mini excavator with a blade but I am wondering what I can do with a 60 hp tractor. I'm guessing the weight of the equipment and it being able to maintain traction is probably part of the equation.

Throwing this in as a reference
View attachment 750989

Tractors are made for pulling. What does your MiniEx weigh? My guess is it will be nowhere near similar in weight to a 60HP tractor. My 40HP MiniEx is 10500 lbs.

/ How big of a rock/boulder can a 60 HP tractor push on relatively flat dirt?
How far away are you going with these rocks?
I'd pick my battles (rock size) between the excavator and the tractor keeping in mind that the tractor loader is more of a farm chore tool and if there's an excavator sitting there....
Not really sure. Sometimes not very far and other times hundreds of feet. Sometimes flat terrain and sometimes uneven terrain (no real hills/inclines). But the tractor will be the only tool I have since renting an excavator here is expensive. Over $2000/wk for the Takeuchi TB290. Smaller is not much better. I can get a small Bobcat from Home Depot but that is also $400+ per day or $1400 for the week. I can make several tractor payments for those amounts. Granted, they do a great job at what they do but I am hesitant to rent one again unless the job just can't be done by something more multipurpose as a tractor.

Tractors are made for pulling. What does your MiniEx weigh? My guess is it will be nowhere near similar in weight to a 60HP tractor. My 40HP MiniEx is 10500 lbs.
That 'Mini' Ex was 18K+ lbs.

Probably easier on the forks than trying to jamb a big rock into a bucket.

Weight is your friend when moving heavy stuff. If I have my BH on I can push heavier stuff than with some other attachment. Trying to do it with no counter weight is hopeless. I have 5,500 lbs powered forks so I can go wide and try to bring the CofG closer to the loader. I can't push a 2+ ton root ball/stump with a bucket because it wants to dig in and roll. With the forks I can usually curl it enough that the same root ball will slide on the ground. Remember to go slow and avoid turns (especially sharp turn) unless you want to be replacing your front ring and pinion gears.
Good advice. Forks are definitely on the shopping list and I can see the argument for using them over the bucket for sure.

/ How big of a rock/boulder can a 60 HP tractor push on relatively flat dirt? #46  
Weight is king. Your tractor is 8000 at best with loaded tires, FEL, and something on the back. Tractors are made for pulling...that will be your best bet. Makes it hard to place boulders though.

My 6000lb tractor cant pull my 2000lb rtv off an embankment....but my excavator moved it like it wasnt attached.

I think you are going to be disappointed if those are really heavy boulders. That said I do agree pallet forks are what I would try if you want to try and lift them with the front. If you can just get it up enough to slide, maybe you can back up with them and get it done.

Weight is king. Your tractor is 8000 at best with loaded tires, FEL, and something on the back. Tractors are made for pulling...that will be your best bet. Makes it hard to place boulders though.

My 6000lb tractor cant pull my 2000lb rtv off an embankment....but my excavator moved it like it wasnt attached.

I think you are going to be disappointed if those are really heavy boulders. That said I do agree pallet forks are what I would try if you want to try and lift them with the front. If you can just get it up enough to slide, maybe you can back up with them and get it done.
Man do I wish I can own both an excavator and a tractor. I'd be in heaven. Lol!

/ How big of a rock/boulder can a 60 HP tractor push on relatively flat dirt? #48  
Good advice. Forks are definitely on the shopping list and I can see the argument for using them over the bucket for sure.
If lifting, forks will allow you to lift more. But for rolling, they are not my implement of choice.

Question - since you own the machine, and have the rocks nearby, why don't you go try moving some of them? You can try lifting some that you can get to fit into the bucket, and try rolling the ones you can't. Let us know how you make out.

Also, if you only run into a small handful of stones you can't move, but they are already out of the ground, consider getting a rotary hammer and some feathers and wedges. If you look for the grain you can split a stone in half pretty easily.

If lifting, forks will allow you to lift more. But for rolling, they are not my implement of choice.

Question - since you own the machine, and have the rocks nearby, why don't you go try moving some of them? You can try lifting some that you can get to fit into the bucket, and try rolling the ones you can't. Let us know how you make out.

Also, if you only run into a small handful of stones you can't move, but they are already out of the ground, consider getting a rotary hammer and some feathers and wedges. If you look for the grain you can split a stone in half pretty easily.
Tractor is not delivered yet but I plan on testing it out for sure. I hear you on the rotary hammer and wedges. Already bought the rotary hammer and plan on buying some wedges before long and using that one some of the rocks. But i have to say that some of these large rocks make spectacular lawn 'ornaments' or use in a wall. I'd want to keep those if possible.