House Build 2023

/ House Build 2023
The driveway and sidewalks are formed up. I trenched under the driveway by the house and added a 4" pipe just in case i need to go under the drive with power or water at some point in the future. Going to do the same with the sidewalk at the house. Also adding a pipe at the bottom down from the shop just in case i need it for drainage.

20231223_102454.jpg20231223_085532.jpg20231222_083624.jpg20231222_083605.jpg20231221_170145.jpg

/ House Build 2023
The wife and I pulled wire to the shop yesterday and got the panel ready to go. Also threw a pic in of the garage door in the shop. I had them do a 4' high lift so the door will hug the cieling as close as possible. It will have a shaft drive motor on it next week.

20231223_093300.jpg20231223_102328.jpg20231223_095209.jpg

/ House Build 2023 #304  
Nothing scares me more in concrete work then seeing wire laying on the dirt. The biggest lie told over and over again is that they will lift it will spreading and leveling the concrete. Even bigger lie is that it will stay in the middle of the concrete while they walk on it. If a concrete contractor doesn't use rebar on chairs, they should be fired before the cement trucks show up. My only exception is that wire is OK in walkways because you can actually lift it and work it without stepping on it, and it will remain in the middle of the concrete.

/ House Build 2023 #308  
Nothing scares me more in concrete work then seeing wire laying on the dirt. The biggest lie told over and over again is that they will lift it will spreading and leveling the concrete. Even bigger lie is that it will stay in the middle of the concrete while they walk on it. If a concrete contractor doesn't use rebar on chairs, they should be fired before the cement trucks show up. My only exception is that wire is OK in walkways because you can actually lift it and work it without stepping on it, and it will remain in the middle of the concrete.
And I pretty much disagree, but we've been over this before.

/ House Build 2023
I can put as much rebar as I want. I've got a handful of sticks left from footers that i will use around the perimeter and in front of the doors. The issue is the expense. I'm already paying a pretty penny. Enough wire for the whole thing is WAY less than #4 rebar. I'm wanting to say 40-60 sticks of rebar was more expensive than 2500 sqft of wire.

I have a very solid base of compacted shale. I understand the risks as they have been laid out above and agree that rebar on chairs would be the best case. I've seen lots of this finishers work and feel it's with the risk.

We don't have any frost heave, I've got good drainage and a solid base.

/ House Build 2023 #310  
Wire and rebar do not make the concrete stronger. It holds it together when it cracks. If they have a really good slump when they pour the concrete, odds increase dramatically that you will have very minor cracking. All concrete cracks, that's a given. The wetter the concrete, the more it will crack. There is a point where it's too dry and they cannot spread it, but that's almost impossible with cement trucks. The only way to stop them from adding water and making it into soup is to stand there and tell them how important the slump is to you. They know, but they don't want to spread it without extra water. All the water does is make it easier for them to spread it. Easy means faster. They get done sooner, get paid the same amount, and have an easier day.

The big advantage rebar has over wire is that it is held up in the air with chairs, and the concrete completely surrounds it. If it was possible to lift the wire and for it to remain in the middle of the concrete while everyone is walking on it, wire would be better then rebar. What usually happens is they start the pour and a guy will lift the wire while the other guys are spreading it. Then two guys will grab a screed board and start leveling the concrete while just one or two are spreading it. The guy doing the lifting gives up on that and will start spreading because they don't have time to pretend to lift the wire when it just ends up in the dirt while they walk on it. You get some pictures of them lifting it, but before it's halfway done, that isn't happening any more.

100% of every house that I've worked on with wire in the slab, and cut through the concrete to move drain lines, has had the wire on the dirt. In the last 20 years, that's probably been close to 50 houses, or more. Wire is very common in older homes around here. It was an idea that was tried, and failed. Now it's not allowed anymore. It's just not possible to keep the wire in the middle of the slab.