Hours charged for tractor work

/ Hours charged for tractor work #1  

RidgeTopWVA

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 4400
When using a tractor to do work for other people and charging by the hour my understanding is the hours are measured by the hour meter on the equipment versus the wrist watch.
What say you ?

/ Hours charged for tractor work #2  
when you rent equipment, its by the hour meter. when i work its by my watch, as thats how i have always done work. but i dont see why it matters, an hour is an hour. with me, i take a screenshot of clock on phone when i start, and when i end.

/ Hours charged for tractor work #3  
It will often depend on if you are being charged travel time, unloading time, time unplugging from FOD that you left in an area.
Too many variables.
If I'm doing something I'm charging hourly for my travel time is included.

/ Hours charged for tractor work #4  
I go by my watch (phone stopwatch) upon arrival, and travel is separate and by the mile. If I take a break, or chat about non job related stuff I pause the stopwatch.

/ Hours charged for tractor work
It is local work so there is no travel time , is the hour meter as accurate as the watch on a minute by minute basis ? I only want to charge them when the machine is actually being used if that is a normal way of figuring a bill , I want to be fair with my customer and myself.

/ Hours charged for tractor work #6  
Renting a machine yes but not doing work for people. When im on a job thats hourly. Say I arrive at 7am and leave at 4pm. Thats what the customer would get charged for. Not the hours on the machine. There are times you may have to re-evaulate what your doing. Possibly do some hand work. Or whatever makes you get off the machine. Just b/c its not running doesn't mean you should not be getting paid. Now if I bid a job. Then it doesn't really matter. The only thing that matters is if the owner is happy and i get paid. Typically bid jobs are better paying

/ Hours charged for tractor work #7  
It is local work so there is no travel time , is the hour meter as accurate as the watch on a minute by minute basis ? I only want to charge them when the machine is actually being used if that is a normal way of figuring a bill , I want to be fair with my customer and myself.
Don't short yourself either. That 'unbilled' time needs to be billed somehow. Depending on the type of work you might have to lay out, picking up, moving stuff, that won't show on the machine, but needs to be paid. I would basically start the billable hours when you arrive on site; and stop it when you have finished loading machine; or walking with owner to confirm your done.

If you show up at 730Am, and leave at 4pm, and took a few minutes to eat a sandwich and refuel, I'd charge them 8 hours, even if machine shows 6 hours of working time.

Either is fine; you just have to make the numbers work. Anything less then 15 minutes, I wouldn't even count, so peeing by truck door, getting a drink, ect; but at the same time; you finish at 4:12pm, I wouldn't try to charge 8.25 hours.

With all that said; as a customer, I would expect an hourly contractor to show up ready to work; not fueling, greasing, sipping his coffee, playing on phone, ect.

You guys are already a big help , I am going to have to rethink things , I have been to lenient

/ Hours charged for tractor work #9  
You guys are already a big help , I am going to have to rethink things , I have been to lenient
It's fine if you like to bill that way for simplicity sake, but just pad that number to account for the other stuff.

It's fine if you like to bill that way for simplicity sake, but just pad that number to account for the other stuff.
I am with you show up on time have all of the prep work on the machine etc done before you get to the job site and give them an honest days work..

Last edited: