homemade weight for front of tractor

/ homemade weight for front of tractor #1  

gt9772c

Anybody have good plans or ideas for building weights for the front of a tractor? Specifically, I have a little Kubota L245 (25 hp, 1976) that is too light in the front. It has one Kubota slab weight on it now.

/ homemade weight for front of tractor #2  
Anybody have good plans or ideas for building weights for the front of a tractor? Specifically, I have a little Kubota L245 (25 hp, 1976) that is too light in the front. It has one Kubota slab weight on it now.

I've always thought about casting a block of lead made from used wheel weights (you can sometimes get them free at tire stores). It would be easy to cast once you melt the wheel weight and skim off the clips and other junk. Then just drill some mounting holes. A 12"x6"x6" block would probably weigh 150# or so.

Ken

/ homemade weight for front of tractor #3  
I used to buy old bar bell weights at yard sales and mount them on the rear wheels and on the front end of the little tractors. They really made the little guys a powerhouse.

/ homemade weight for front of tractor #4  
My father-in-law welded some brackets on steel pipe, and filled the pipe with wheel weights. It wasn't an efficient use of the space, but it was simple, and cheap. We were able to get about 300 pounds of lead into that piece of pipe.

/ homemade weight for front of tractor #5  
My father-in-law welded some brackets on steel pipe, and filled the pipe with wheel weights. It wasn't an efficient use of the space, but it was simple, and cheap. We were able to get about 300 pounds of lead into that piece of pipe.

That must have been a BIG piece of pipe!

Sounds like it's heavy enough though. Especially if you try to lift it and mount it :eek:

/ homemade weight for front of tractor #6  
Just playing with the calculator- A 6" dia round piece of lead, 24" long, looks to weight in at 271#. That would be a solid pour w/ lead calculated at .40# per cubic inch! (Pipe weight not included). I pour sinkers, jig-head etc for fishing, using melted wheel weights. I use a larger (borrowed) propane pot from a plumber friend to melt them, skim the floating steel clips and debris, and pour them into ingots for future use in a small electric melter with a bottom pour valve. Caution! Do it outside with a breeze! Nasty, Nasty fumes at least till you get the relitively clean(?) lead in ingot form. With scrape prices, I don't know if tire shops are saving them or not. It's been a few years since I've tried to get them. ~Scotty

/ homemade weight for front of tractor #7  
I have freind that works in a nuclear med lab at the local hospital. He gets very large amounts of lead for shipping containers. They sell it off when it piles up.

/ homemade weight for front of tractor #9  
when I was a kid my dad took an old air tank , bracketed it horizontally to the front cut out a door in the top , welded some studs it the bottom , vertically ,and poured it about half full of concrete, put hinges and a latch on the lid and it doubled as a good chain/tool box,

/ homemade weight for front of tractor #10  
I come across 8 rr track tie plates at an auction a while ago. Mounted 4 on each side of the front weight rack/bumper on my L225. Used three 3/4" galvanized threaded rods to contain them. The plates are 18+ pounds each. Just enough weight to keep from doing wheelies uphill with my RFM raised.