home shop lathe

/ home shop lathe #71  
You might get lucky and find some vintage old iron.....South Bend, Leblond, Monarch, etc. near you or within traveling distance. Even shipping can sometimes be reasonable for the right machine!

Last edited:
   / home shop lathe #73  
I went through a similar situation. I had access to an oasis of machinist, toolmaker, maintenance and QA equipment that we were (more or less) allowed to use on nightshift and then found a new job in an office full of geeks and computers.

I ended up with a made-in-Taiwan 14x40 lathe that I use from time to time. I have no regrets on size or quality but I can't imagine having anything much smaller. A DRO would be nice but not necessary.

I would suggest having a budget keeping an open mind. I was fixated on finding a USA made lathe for a while and only found 'vintage' equipment in my price range. The gear swapping, bearing tech, and toolpost on a southbend seemed too unfamiliar from what I used in school and while pretending to be a machinist.

sounds odd and maybe even insulting or rude to some, but make sure you have some spending money during the next recession. Best time to build a home workshop.

this is the exact make model I have. There's a few different clones and varients out there.