Home Made Landscape Rake

/ Home Made Landscape Rake
I think I will add a bracket on the underside of the box beam for extra support when there is increase stress in the rake. I will bolt the bracket on because it will have to be removed if I want to spin the rake around 180 degrees.

Attachments

• 253768-DSC02240a.jpg
    253768-DSC02240a.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 968
   / Home Made Landscape Rake #32  
Under which box beam? I can't see where you would need additional support as you have the braces on top. Maybe an angle from the left or right side (or both) where the hitch pins are connected to the arms and then back towards the pivot point, but that is the only "weak" spot I see. I will be curious if the single bolts holding the tines in place will work if you use this rake backwards. Not doubting, but I would have some concern as to how they will hold up.

Great job, and it looks like you have finished a great project. Thanks for the pics.

/ Home Made Landscape Rake #33  
Your project looks great!

With the single bolt, what will keep the tines from rotating? I'm assuming the tines have a flat edge that is up tight against the angle iron.

/ Home Made Landscape Rake #34  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( With the single bolt, what will keep the tines from rotating? I'm assuming the tines have a flat edge that is up tight against the angle iron. )</font>

I have been thinking the same thing. He could weld on some spacers inbetween the tines on the underside of that angle iron and then they could not move.

/ Home Made Landscape Rake #35  
Nice Job on the rake. I did almost the same thing, but I used the tines that have 2 holes in each one - I had to drill alot more holes /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif but it looks like it will work great. Had the kids put all the bolts in for me /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif. I didn't make all the front end stuff, I used my back blade as a guide and intend to take the blade off and substitute the rake in place of it. Might not be ideal, but it takes up less space and took less work to make.

I really wanted to get the tines with 2 bolts but was put off at the thought of drilling that many holes. They were actually the same price. I cut 1" spaces that I have to weld onto the bottom. I was just too excited to try it out. None of them twisted though when I dragged it around last night. But I'm sure with enough force they will.
I was thinking of having kids for the sole purpose of having free labor /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif.

<font color="blue"> Under which box beam? I can't see where you would need additional support as you have the braces on top. </font>

Look at the image attached. Where the arrow is pointing to. It would take off stress at the pivot point if it wanted to flex.

/ Home Made Landscape Rake #38  
The brace you are thinking of adding would be important for a blade to help with the shock loads. With flexable tines it is not so important, but would help. (Are you thinking of making a blade for it too? you have a gteat 3-point frame for it.)

It will not be handy if you need to unbolt it all the time. Could you cut 2 welds, & add an inch spacer between the plate & the main angle iron? Then the bracket would not be in the way.

I forgot to look at the pics closely - did you put a grease zerk in to the pivot to grease it every so often?

--->Paul

Man, I didn't even think of that. I could build a blade for it. Thanks for the suggestion. I will also put a grease zerk on the pivot.
Thank you again.

/ Home Made Landscape Rake #40  
How about guage wheels to....Good job, Im thinking about doing the same thing.