High or low sulfur?

/ High or low sulfur? #1  

smfcpacfp

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B3030HSDC
Is it better to use high, or low sulfur diesel? The manual for my B3030 is unclear.

The irrationality for diesel pricing is another matter.

/ High or low sulfur? #2  
Your tractor can use any diesel fuel. I'd be really surprised if you could find high sulphur at all. You might find dyed low sulphur(500ppm),but it's really being phased out fast. You're most likely getting ultra-low sulphur(<15ppm)in either dyed or undyed. Sulphur is a lubricant for the fuel system,so it is desireable,however oil changes can go longer if less sulphur is in the fuel. Since you really don't have a choice anymore,just assume you're getting ultra-low and consider a fuel additive for lubricity,although I believe there is a lubricity standard that fuel suppliers have to meet. Or just put it in and don't worry about it except for cold weather treatment. Good Luck

/ High or low sulfur? #3  
I use the off road # 2 because it is cheaper. Also #2 lubricates better than #1 I have been told. #1 is better for cold weather because it is thinner. However I use #2 in winter anyway because up here in winter it is mixed 50/50 with #1 and then i use power service with it all winter. Also I have heard that there is a difference in horsepower depending which you burn #1 or #2, but I don't know if that is true or which is suppose to give more Hp. Where I get my diesel the sign says the offroad is high sulfur and the on road is low sulfur.

/ High or low sulfur? #4  
The bigger question is ??? what do you have available to you and what is the definition of High/low sulphur diesel fuel???:confused: :confused:

/ High or low sulfur? #5  
I been using Off-road diesel because its cheaper as well....I thought the only diffrence was it doesn't have the state tax on it like regular diesel and its dyed blue...

/ High or low sulfur? #6  
offcamber said:
I been using Off-road diesel because its cheaper as well....I thought the only diffrence was it doesn't have the state tax on it like regular diesel and its dyed blue...

Off road is dyed red. Marine diesel is usually blue.

/ High or low sulfur? #7  
Blue? I've never heard of blue diesel so I did a little research.
In the mid 90's it appears the federal government required ALL non-highway fuel to be dyed RED, so is anyone still selling blue fuel in the US? The info I've found is a little vague as to blue fuel. I have bought taxed legal fuel that was a little greenish blue...so I'm wondering now.....
This supposedly was done to eliminate any possible confusion with some avgas which IS blue.
It seems blue diesel is real common in other countries though...there are even companies specializing in dyes for commercial fuel to track any theft by employees:rolleyes:

/ High or low sulfur? #8  
number two said:
Your tractor can use any diesel fuel. I'd be really surprised if you could find high sulphur at all. You might find dyed low sulphur(500ppm),but it's really being phased out fast. You're most likely getting ultra-low sulphur(<15ppm)in either dyed or undyed. Sulphur is a lubricant for the fuel system,so it is desireable,however oil changes can go longer if less sulphur is in the fuel. Since you really don't have a choice anymore,just assume you're getting ultra-low and consider a fuel additive for lubricity,although I believe there is a lubricity standard that fuel suppliers have to meet. Or just put it in and don't worry about it except for cold weather treatment. Good Luck

The pumps where I get my fuel are labeled "S15" for the highway fuel (ultra-low sulfur) and "S500" for the pink offroad fuel (low sulfur). With all the recent changes in Oregon regarding fuel types, folks are becoming pretty astute so I doubt my local farm supply simply forgot to change them, so the ultra-low sulfur requirement must only apply to on-highway?

In my state you can get:
B5
B15
B99
S15 diesel
S500 offroad diesel
E10 gasoline (it's all E10 in Oregon now) 87, 89 and 92 octane
E85 for the Chevy flex-fuel vehicles.

So much for regular and super...

Greg

/ High or low sulfur? #9  
teeravis1 said:
I use the off road # 2 because it is cheaper. Also #2 lubricates better than #1 I have been told. #1 is better for cold weather because it is thinner. However I use #2 in winter anyway because up here in winter it is mixed 50/50 with #1 and then i use power service with it all winter. Also I have heard that there is a difference in horsepower depending which you burn #1 or #2, but I don't know if that is true or which is suppose to give more Hp. Where I get my diesel the sign says the offroad is high sulfur and the on road is low sulfur.

I buy my diesel in da UP as well (Citgo in Soo MI) and use off-road #2 as you do with PS-my B7800 runs very well:)

/ High or low sulfur? #10  
ccsial said:
Off road is dyed red. Marine diesel is usually blue.

Your right it is red....my mistake.....I

The blue stuff I got once came from nieghbor...must have been from his boat....for some reason that color stuck in my head...