Help with cylinder placement on grapple

/ Help with cylinder placement on grapple #11  
I agree that the cylinder looks to short.

Mocking up with PVC, wood, etc is gonna be easier than all the math in the world. Because some things are easy to overlook in terms of clearances and binding angles.

For example.....with the cylinder base mount offset forward of the lid hinges.....the grapple lid wont ever be able to open much beyond just parallel with the floor. Otherwise the hinges will break over-center and the grapple wont close.....or will try to close backwards.

/ Help with cylinder placement on grapple #12  
Get some big pieces of cardboard. Mock up one grapple next to another mock up of the cylinder base mount, full size.
You'll find that 4" stroke isn't going to open enough from closed. That stroke might work on the the "other" side of your pivot but you've already made them and you'd need a cylinder for each side. (similar to the action of a 4/1 bucket) This does provide a better grip on oddly shaped loads.
What you have done looks very nice. 👍

/ Help with cylinder placement on grapple #13  
I am looking for help in trying to find the locations to mount a cylinder on my grapple.
From the pictures I have looked at, your cylinder base pivot needs to be behind the lid pivots:

IMG_0752.jpeg

And you need a longer stroke cylinder.

Here is one that I have with a unique cylinder mount: Demolition Grapples - Features - Sidney Attachments

P1260005.JPG
P1260010.JPG

P4090030.JPG

P4090038.JPG

P4090040.JPG

/ Help with cylinder placement on grapple
Thanks for the help guys. I talked to a buddy at work who is a mechanical engineer in training and he is going to draw something up to see if it will work with the design i have. I am basically trying to copy this design for the grapple lid. 48″ Compact Tractor Root Rake Clam Grapple Attachment Fits Skid Steer Quick Attach – Skid Steer Attachment Depot

He also suggested adding another tine to the middle of the lid and extending it past the back of the top frame and lid pivot points and putting the cylinder on the back of the grapple. Similar to the below design but only one cylinder on the middle tine. Its only a 48" grapple so putting a cylinder on each outside tine on the back is not an option because of the SSQA. I may just go this route. If I did my math correct, with an attachment point of 8" past the pivot point, I should have just over 2000 pounds of clamping force, which should be plenty for its intended purpose.

Last edited:
   / Help with cylinder placement on grapple
From the pictures I have looked at, your cylinder base pivot needs to be behind the lid pivots:

View attachment 790964

And you need a longer stroke cylinder.

Here is one that I have with a unique cylinder mount: Demolition Grapples - Features - Sidney Attachments

View attachment 790972View attachment 790973

View attachment 790974
View attachment 790983
View attachment 790976
I did some figuring using the explanation in the link i posted in my second post and it did placed the mount point behind the top frame

/ Help with cylinder placement on grapple #16  
I did some figuring using the explanation in the link i posted in my second post and it did placed the mount point behind the top frame

The rear cylinder pin needs to be higher than the lid pivot pins by at least a few inches. The more distance apart they are the more clamping force you would have. It looks like your cylinder pin and lid pin are almost the same height. The grapple lid pivots really should have been closer to the frame to make it more practical to make the cylinder pin higher. I’m 100 percent sure that the current cylinder is too short to provide a decent opening angle.Here’s a picture of my grapple and demolition bucket for reference. The grapple has a good opening angle but the demolition bucket would be better if it opened more.
IMG_4371.JPG
IMG_4372.JPG

/ Help with cylinder placement on grapple #17  
If you are computer savvy a cad package like Fusion 360 can let you mock up the parts and take measurements for the assembly in open and closed positions

A scale cardboard model will work to take physical measurements

/ Help with cylinder placement on grapple #18  
I am basically trying to copy this design for the grapple lid.
That doesn’t require any math. When you go to look at one, take a camera and tape measure.

/ Help with cylinder placement on grapple #19  
Thanks for the help guys. I talked to a buddy at work who is a mechanical engineer in training and he is going to draw something up to see if it will work with the design i have. I am basically trying to copy this design for the grapple lid. 48″ Compact Tractor Root Rake Clam Grapple Attachment Fits Skid Steer Quick Attach – Skid Steer Attachment Depot

He also suggested adding another tine to the middle of the lid and extending it past the back of the top frame and lid pivot points and putting the cylinder on the back of the grapple. Similar to the below design but only one cylinder on the middle tine. Its only a 48" grapple so putting a cylinder on each outside tine on the back is not an option because of the SSQA. I may just go this route. If I did my math correct, with an attachment point of 8" past the pivot point, I should have just over 2000 pounds of clamping force, which should be plenty for its intended purpose.
Let us know how this works out. I would recommend a computer for a couple reasons - one is to figure out the travel and make quick adjustments if needed. You can figure out whether you have the right piston, etc. The second is to calculate the clamping force. It's pretty easy to do in software.

Let me know if you get what you need from your buddy, if that doesn't work out and you can give me some more dimensions I can draw something up quickly for you.

/ Help with cylinder placement on grapple #20  
Agree with others - use CAD: cardboard aided design