Help with a John Deere snow blower

/ Help with a John Deere snow blower #1  

WLC

Tractor
Branson 3510i
I have a JD x320 lawn tractor with a 44 inch snowblower that mounts on the front. It is a 2012 model, but only has 60hrs on it. Was given to me by an older gentleman's widow after he passed. This thing literally eats belts. The last belt made it through 3 snowfalls. Any ideas or help is much appreciated.

/ Help with a John Deere snow blower #2  
Suggest looking at pulley bearings and pulley alignment. Misalignment and/or pulleys not parallel are what eats belts

• Good Post
Reactions: WLC
   / Help with a John Deere snow blower
Bearings are good, pulleys all spin freely. I'll double check the alignment.

/ Help with a John Deere snow blower #4  
Do the belts look frayed or just clean break?

/ Help with a John Deere snow blower #6  
I have a JD x320 lawn tractor with a 44 inch snowblower that mounts on the front. It is a 2012 model, but only has 60hrs on it. Was given to me by an older gentleman's widow after he passed. This thing literally eats belts. The last belt made it through 3 snowfalls. Any ideas or help is much appreciated.
Any chance PoweRated belts were replaced with standard V belts?

/ Help with a John Deere snow blower #7  

You need those bloody magical very, very, very expensive green john deere V belts "only" available from a jd dealer.

SAE V belts do not work due to the metric pulleys. I know this because I tried to use them on my 2011 jd LA115
which had a metric 44 inch 2 stage snow blower on it from Canuckistan.

/ Help with a John Deere snow blower #8  
You may want to post this on the John Deere Lawn & Garden thread here:

You may find more help there.

Here is a short video of installing the snow blower on a JDX500. You may want to check if you have your belt routed correctly.

Richard

/ Help with a John Deere snow blower
I've used only the expensive JD belts.

I finally figured it out. The idler pulley arm was slightly bent. I got it back to a 90* angle and all is well. Put the least shredded belt back on it while waiting on the new belts I ordered to arrive. Still haven't needed to put one of the new belts on it yet.

/ Help with a John Deere snow blower #10  
Glad you figured it out, been using one of those blowers since 2008, never a problem with belts.

Watch out for problems with the two idler pulleys. Snow sits on top of them, when you are finished the bearings are warm and the snow melts and seeps into the bearing eventually taking the bearings out to the tune of approx. $40.00 (Cdn). I made up a couple of shield a few years ago that have ended this problem just a couple of aluminum disks a bit larger than the bearing hub with the outer edge hammer formed down for about 1/16", installed on top of the idler under the retaining nut. Found this information just recently, "Pulley Shields: I ordered 2 of the deck bearing shields for my 44" snowblower idler pulleys and they fit perfectly. They cost $2.06 each with $9 shipping from Green Part Store, well worth it in my opinion. The part # M174222 is correct and was mentioned above." for a more expensive solution that probably doesn't work any better, just JDs answer to a problem. Have heard that new unit may have this installed on them.