Comparison Help me decide.

/ Help me decide. #1  

Taylortractornut

Elite Member
Tractor
3550 Fard Backhoe and a 1948 Farmall Cub,
I m about to have my home and land paid off and really want a nicer tractor. I have a 79 3000 Yanmar that I've had 9 years. I'm looking for around a 40_45 HP tractor open station. Here's my jam up. I want something around a 2010 model. I'm not a fan of the emissions bs. And I like the fact its depreciated a little. Dad bought o 2010 LS 3040 I new but the company we work for asked about buying it so he sold it to them with the condition when we need it it can come home. It works OK but I hate shuffling the tractor around. I like the 3040 but its a little smaller than what I want. I'm looking at LS Mahindra, Kioti, and possibly Nh. My neighbor sells Brandon's but I don't lie the cable controlled loader ant they aren't comfortable to me. I was also turned off by the fact when I looked at a trade in Mahindra on his lot he and a salesmen told me I didn't want that.

The Kioti dealer I like but is an hour away and isn't open on Saturday. So if I did have an issue I have to take off work.
I have 2 L's dealers 30 min away but one of them talks a lot of trash about other dealers and my current tractor. The Mahindra dealer is an hour away but open on Saturday has a large dealership and shop. They have 5 Mahindra dealerships in all. They told me they don't carry the Chinese built mahindra that got the bad reputation.

What I'd like to hear are the problems any of you have had with LS, Mahindra,Kioti,Nh in the 45hp range with a shuttle transmission and about 400 to 500 hours on them. I've had 2 dealers tell me Mahindra were junk which I doubt. I'm just worried about getting something I'll regret.

/ Help me decide. #2  
NH in that range is made by LS and I think you are better off buying direct. I would look at those brands in the following order:

LS
Kioti
Mahindra

/ Help me decide. #3  
Do you have a Massey dealer around? Look for a used 1660 (60up, dynaQPS powershuttle, good loader). The 16xx series are tier 3 with no emissions B.S. They were replaced by the new 17xx tier 4 tractors, and the replacement for the 1660 would now be the 1759. Massey quality is top notch, and the 1660 would be a good, strong machine.

/ Help me decide. #4  
I'm looking for around a 40_45 HP tractor open station. Here's my jam up. I want something around a 2010 model.

There are a good number of used tractors for sale around Iuka meeting your parameters:

Industrial Tractor | eBay

The 2014 Kubota M7040 SU, 354 hours, in McCalla, AL, looks like good value.

/ Help me decide.
I can find the tractors, not sure on the one I want brand wise. If that makes sense, I wouldn't mind a Kubota really like them but my nearest two dealers are A holes that don't care if they sell something or not.

/ Help me decide. #6  
Shop the dealer as they all break down.

/ Help me decide.
Two that's a good looking tractor you have. I forgot we have a Massey dealer about an hour away. Do you know where your tractor is made? I did have an older Massey that was made by Iseki. I do a little landscaping on the side and would like the option of not using my skid steer all the time.

/ Help me decide. #8  
If I was shopping for a used tractor I would be most concerned with the condition of the machine on offer, perceived availability of parts and service ten years out, then price; brand would be last.

Last edited:
   / Help me decide. #9  
I agree with Jeff9366, but don't forget ergonomics. If you are going to be on the tractor for any length of time. a good fit is really important. I have a New Holland TC40 (hydro - not shuttle) and have had no problems with it. +700 hours. It is a very comfortable machine.

I also like Massey, when I was looking to buy mine. And I noticed Massey was identical to the New Holland - identical except for body covers and color.

/ Help me decide. #10  
I agree with Jeff9366, but don't forget ergonomics. If you are going to be on the tractor for any length of time. a good fit is really important. I have a New Holland TC40 (hydro - not shuttle) and have had no problems with it. +700 hours. It is a very comfortable machine.

I also like Massey, when I was looking to buy mine. And I noticed Massey was identical to the New Holland - identical except for body covers and color.

They are not identical... They don't share anything and have no connection to one another. Your TC40 was built by Shibaura, the Massey's are built by Iseki.

Just clearing that up to avoid confusion for others.