Hearing Aids?

/ Hearing Aids? #41  
Hearing aid wearer for 20 years now....I started out buying my own, first pair was crappy Miracle Ear.

Friend said I should go to VA and try for 0% and at least get free hearing aids-was the best thing I ever did. We also discovered that military service is why I lost my hearing and incurred tinnitus.

I have had 9 different hearing aids over the year's an with profound hearing loss-I learned the best ones are behind the ear. In the ear ones always gave me ear infections and ear aches.

Always watch movies and youtube with subtitles-I am so tickled ping to know have subtitles available on my Samsung Note 10 Plus for everything...its a new system feature.

Have to use Bluetooth headset for phone conversations now.

As for cost-you get what you pay for.....which is why I am so thankful to have the VA-and free hearing aid batteries.

/ Hearing Aids?
I remember reading someplace that lose of hearing was a statistical factor in suicide in older males. Meaning, they didn't identify the specific cause, but that the numbers indicated a connection. I'm assuming because as PuffC mentioned, social isolation.
My first hearing test was last Friday. Tacked on the opposite of me while sitting taking the test was a list off issues associated with hearing loss. Suicide was listed as one of them.

As someone else noted, dementia and alzheimers were associated with hearing loss as well.

/ Hearing Aids?
I have been in the Hearing Protection business for over 25 years and usually recommend Costco to my customers. Costco sells the same name brand hearing aids and appears to do a good job in selecting and hiring their audiologist's. Being located in the warehouse the their cost of overhead and their purchasing power allows them to sell for less.
First hearing aid test on Friday was with a Ear Nose Throat medical office. I was refered there actually when I went in for a hearing test at Costco because I apparently had a massive buildup of wax in the ear that I needed a medical professional to do. When I set up the appointment, the woman mentioned they do hearing test and sell hearing aids as well, so I figured why not while I was there.

Premium - $6,500 per pair (these were the Phonaks "Paradise" sereis blue tooth I was looking at)
Advanced - $5,500 per pair
Standard - $4,000 per pair
Basic - $3,000 per pair

Hey, when I got home, filled out a online 5 question basic "care credit" (handled by Synchrony financial whom I'm intimately familiar with working with in the HVAC industry) and was approved for 12 months same as cash (0% interest which I'll take everytime, though it leads me to believe they built into the sell price or the margin is so high they don't care about the 6% fee from the lender).

I went back to Costco yesterday and set up an appointment to Tuesday.

Their (Costco) private lable Kirkland's are actually made by Sonava, who make the Phonak paradise series, which is Costco's "premium" Kirkland brand (doing some research, Sonava actually made their last series for Costco but they had multiple manufacturers make their line prior to those last two series).

Thing is, that Kirkland series 10 only costs $2,800 for a pair (which I would just pay for as I have issues writting checks for large amounts of money and $6,500 is pushing it on my end for something so small LOL).

However, I have had tinnitus for the last 30 years or so, and I see the one thing that the these Kirkland's won't do is run a "tinnitus masker program" which at this point I have to do a little more research.

The warranty seems to be basically the same with the biggest difference being the ENT doctors office only gives you a 60 day trial period with a $300 restocking fee, however the Costco line gives you at least a 3 months with no restocking fee. Free maintence for the first 3 years, one time loss or damage I think are about the same yada yada yada....

Thing is, $2,800 to 6.5k for a "tinnitus masker program" difference leaves me scratching my head, and I'm not certain what the other differences are. I know certain lines of HVAC equipment intimately, and can tell you that some lines are exactly the same except for a few cosmetic changes, and the pricing can be vastly difference which leaves me scratching my head, I just need to do more research on this product line.

I know my mother in law has the Phonak brand from her doctors office, and I may even run down to see her today to ask her about them and see them in person.

I did send the audiologist and email yesterday asking her to call me, as I will be asking her some questions as well to the differences (I understand she may have a dog in this fight). Costco at my location does not have an audiologist at that location, and I'm also not certain how important and educated you need about this "programing" (of course common sense tells you it should be pretty important LOL). Add in the fact I'm not certain how important this "Tinnitus masker" program is, which will also be a topic of converstation.

My other fear with Costco is as fast as Costco uses Soneva to make their last two series, they could also drop Soneva over time and pick up yet someone else. What I find amazing is even HVAC equipment doesn't have a drastic price difference between "alike" equipment, and we're talking about two items that can fit in the palm of your hand. I also understand that Soneva got into the game with Costco by price, and dealing with the "medical" profession, generally price is of no concearn.

Given the option, of course people will take the course of less money to achieve the same results, just want to try and make the best informed call in spending the money when I go down this road.

Even if the Phonaks are only 30% better, I may go that route if it will help me more, even for the price difference.

/ Hearing Aids? #45  
I have issues writting checks for large amounts of money
Leading to exactly where you are now, and where you might end up. No hearing aids now, driving others up the wall because of it, and then .... maybe cheap hearing aids.

Two thoughts:

1. Everything in your post above is about price, branding, market chains, blah blah. Although almost universally true elsewhere, I don't necessarily believe higher price is better with hearing aids. You have specific hearing loss that is unique to you. So I'd feel you were shopping more wisely if you focused on finding the best performing hearing aid to counteract your specific, unique hearing loss.

2. My parents both needed hearing aids. "Too expensive for the good ones." I offered to buy them, but-- nooooo, we don't need them!. For the last 10+ years of their lives they missed out on a lot of family interaction because it was just too much effort for all of us to keep re-yelling at them. It wears you down.

When they passed, I found cash stashed at home-- 4x what the best hearing aids cost. Sad.

I hope you get the best ones to counteract your hearing loss. I really believe "buy once, cry once" fits with hearing aid purchases. Good luck !

/ Hearing Aids? #46  
I've one or two friends, ex military who got free heating aids from VA. If one of mine ever need replacement, think I might go that route. Just hate messing with the VA, which remains a separate entity. It ought to be integrated into other medical services and just act as our "insurance".

Got a free telephone with captions from CationCall. Also got a free other telephone # for my iPad with captions. My iPad needs wifi to work; so, I seldom use that because I use the in-place phone here at my desk for calls from wifi here. Would be great on cellular iPad or iPhone.

/ Hearing Aids? #47  
My first hearing test was last Friday. Tacked on the opposite of me while sitting taking the test was a list off issues associated with hearing loss. Suicide was listed as one of them.

As someone else noted, dementia and alzheimers were associated with hearing loss as well.

I, too, have read that "suicide" is sometimes associated with hearing loss, OR associated with tinnitus. Well, I've had tinnitus for many, mamy years, and I've been wearing hearing aids for many, many years; don't think I'm likely to commit suicide, but I guess you never know.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

And dementia and alzheimers associated with hearing loss??? My father-in-law attributed his severe hearing loss (was wearing hearing aids long before I met him) to a coal mining accident, but I never saw any signs of dementia or alzheimers even right up to his death.

My own father, and his father, suffered from alzheimers for the last 5 to 10 years of their lives, died at the age of 80, and neither ever used or needed hearing aids.

Yep, they call it "practicing" medicine and I'd say "wild guessing" is quite common.

/ Hearing Aids? #48  
Yesterday I needed to pound in 4 metal T posts on one of my remote properties. I did not have hearing protection in the vehicle that I was in, but I pounded the posts in anyway. It is unlike me to be without hearing protection, but I needed to get the posts in. Today I have muffled hearing a bit which usually will go away. I know these losses are slight but the law of diminishing returns is in play. I ordered a set of 3M 101 dB muffs to keep in that vehicle so I do not get caught again. Cheap insurance, they will be here tomorrow thanks to Jeff Bezos.
Pounding t-posts without ear muffs is a total non-starter for me. I don't know what the db measurement is but I tried it once and it sounded about as painful as firing a 9mm without protection.

/ Hearing Aids?
Everything in your post above is about price, branding, market chains, blah blah. Although almost universally true elsewhere, I don't necessarily believe higher price is better with hearing aids. You have specific hearing loss that is unique to you. So I'd feel you were shopping more wisely if you focused on finding the best performing hearing aid to counteract your specific, unique hearing loss.

I hope you get the best ones to counteract your hearing loss. I really believe "buy once, cry once" fits with hearing aid purchases. Good luck !
I'm actually leaning towards the more expensive ones.

I have what would be classified as "chronic" tinnitus, and if the Costco ones don't actually work well with tinnitus, I'm leaning away from them.

Added the fact that I'm working with a certified audiologist with a 4 year degree over her BS degree vs no audiologist working at Costco.

I agree a higher price is not is better with hearing aids, but the degree of knowlege with the people who are helping you is worth something, particuarly when it's as important as your hearing IMO. I also have no clue how important this "programming" is of hearing aids given your speciffic issues with a hearing loss, but I can't help but think it could play an important role.

/ Hearing Aids?
I, too, have read that "suicide" is sometimes associated with hearing loss, OR associated with tinnitus. Well, I've had tinnitus for many, mamy years, and I've been wearing hearing aids for many, many years; don't think I'm likely to commit suicide, but I guess you never know.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

And dementia and alzheimers associated with hearing loss??? My father-in-law attributed his severe hearing loss (was wearing hearing aids long before I met him) to a coal mining accident, but I never saw any signs of dementia or alzheimers even right up to his death.

My own father, and his father, suffered from alzheimers for the last 5 to 10 years of their lives, died at the age of 80, and neither ever used or needed hearing aids.

Yep, they call it "practicing" medicine and I'd say "wild guessing" is quite common.
I believe the gist is hearing loss can contribute to dementia or alzheimers, not that you will automatically get dementia or alzheimers if you have a hearing loss.