Hearing aids and a rant

/ Hearing aids and a rant #1  

etpm

Veteran Member
Tractor
yanmar ym2310
Today I spent 2 grand on hearing aids. Before The government made the hearing aid purchasing changes they would have cost me just about double. So that's great. Plus I can make changes to the aids myself with my smart phone, which used to not be a thing.
Now for the rant. I have read many times posts here on TBN and other places from people who say all the loud noises have not affected their hearing. They typically say that they must just be unusual but their chainsaw noise and similar noise, and all the loud music they listened to, etc., has never affected their hearing. Of course they have their hearing checked regularly so they know. Well, I don't buy it. Maybe they believe what they say. It doesn't matter. When people say stuff like this it gives young folk an excuse to ignore good sense.
I, when young, listened to very loud music, shot rifles and pistols, operated stuff with very loud exhaust, and so on, and didn't use hearing protection. I'm 67 now. In my late 20s I started to wear hearing protection as much as possible. And I still have significant hearing loss. I now wear hearing protection whenever I am going to be exposed to loud noise. No exception. I want to keep what I have left. Yet I can't convince my wife or 45 year old son to do the same even though I have obvious hearing deficits. Because they think they are somehow immune to loud noise.
So please, no matter what you think about your excellent resistance to loud noise exposure for years with no affect to your hearing, just keep quiet about it. Don't give others, especially young folks, an excuse to avoid doing something so easy and simple, that will protect their precious hearing later in life.
Allright, rant off.
Cheers,
Eric

/ Hearing aids and a rant #2  
It's not just loud noise that effects or causes hearing loss... 'constant' noise will, over time, do it too.

Navy training has led me to always wear hearing protection (and appropriate PPE), even today. I don't have significant hearing loss, however I do have some and the culprit turned out to be the 'whirring' of the ship's ventilation. I typically would sleep on my left side in a 'Jack knife' position (to keep me in my bunk as the ship rolled) so my right ear was exposed more to the sound over the years (total 'sea time'). It's the one that's 'worse' than the left.

Fortunately I don't require hearing aids... yet. But the Veteran's Affair Department recognises the 'loss' and I'm 100% covered for that.

/ Hearing aids and a rant #3  
It's not just loud noise that effects or causes hearing loss... 'constant' noise will, over time, do it too.
My doctor told me the same thing. I have age related high frequency hearing loss which could have been minimized by using hearing protection in my youth.

Now, in my 70's, the doctor suggested I wear some form of hearing protection when I drive long distances. The constant highway noise for prolonged periods of time can affect hearing.

/ Hearing aids and a rant #4  
The problem is most people do not realize how it affects one to be deaf, or blind, until it happens. And then once it happens often there is no going back.

I had back surgery, then lost my hearing about the same time. Several trips to an ear doctor and some in hospital cleaning did not help. In order for me to hear the volume had to be LOUD. Finally my HMO authorised another doctor who was going to fit me for hearing aids, He sent me back for another ear cleaning at a different facility.
They ended up pulling enough wax from my ears to light a parade. They remarked they had never seen ear canals that deep.
I was wearing corduroy pants at the time. When I walked out of that doctors office I could hear my pants as I walked. They were loud! Everything was loud.
I immediately upped my collection of hearing protection devices and even wear Noise Reduction Ear Muffs, 29dB NRR when mowing lawns with my gas lawnmower, plus when using a tractor or chainsaw.

About 5 years ago I found I was developing cataracts. My right eye progressed quicker than my left. Then over the course of a month my right eye became almost blind due to the cataract. I had surgery and it was back better than it had been since my 20's.
So now having experienced being almost blind and deaf I try and take care of these things.

/ Hearing aids and a rant #5  
I have been wearing since age of 30 for 27 years now. Had many disturbing side affects from it like severe vertigo (labyrinthitis). Sever tinnitus (that included 24x7 screaming in ears) Heard ransom explosions, incoherent voices, clicking, pinging, and now my left side hears my heart beat 24x7. After many examinations, MRIs, CAT Scans Drs have told me-yup your going deaf and have tinnitus-nothing we can do except sell you some nice hearing aids and white noise generators.

Was able to get care from the VA-not only hearing aids and batteries but real care like attending tinnitus management classes.

Im probably down to my last 7% of hearing but I feel for all of you.

Things I learned
Behind the ear (BHE) hearing aids are better-keeps ears from getting infected and are more comfortable than In the ear (ITE) hearing aids. Bluetooth rechargeable hearing aids are the thing today.

Most HAs will have wax traps-buy yourselves a good ear scope that you can connect to your smart phone-these come with devices to remove the wax traps from your canal. As I have found the wax traps can cause severe earaches if the fall out of the hearing aid into your ear.
Otherwise its a trip to the doctor.

Some states like Maine and Maine Medcaire will pay for up to $3,000 per hearing aid per ear.

Hearing aid batteries are tax free.

I have found in my research that loss of hearing can lead to a much higher chance of anxiety, depression and dementia. I already found to have more and more episodes of "lost key syndrome" these days.

Scientist have recently found where tinnitus and hearing loss dont coexist it the source can be from nerve damage at the base of the brain. Very important discovery for possible cures and prevention.

/ Hearing aids and a rant
I have been wearing since age of 30 for 27 years now. Had many disturbing side affects from it like severe vertigo (labyrinthitis). Sever tinnitus (that included 24x7 screaming in ears) Heard ransom explosions, incoherent voices, clicking, pinging, and now my left side hears my heart beat 24x7. After many examinations, MRIs, CAT Scans Drs have told me-yup your going deaf and have tinnitus-nothing we can do except sell you some nice hearing aids and white noise generators.

Was able to get care from the VA-not only hearing aids and batteries but real care like attending tinnitus management classes.

Im probably down to my last 7% of hearing but I feel for all of you.

Things I learned
Behind the ear (BHE) hearing aids are better-keeps ears from getting infected and are more comfortable than In the ear (ITE) hearing aids. Bluetooth rechargeable hearing aids are the thing today.

Most HAs will have wax traps-buy yourselves a good ear scope that you can connect to your smart phone-these come with devices to remove the wax traps from your canal. As I have found the wax traps can cause severe earaches if the fall out of the hearing aid into your ear.
Otherwise its a trip to the doctor.

Some states like Maine and Maine Medcaire will pay for up to $3,000 per hearing aid per ear.

Hearing aid batteries are tax free.

I have found in my research that loss of hearing can lead to a much higher chance of anxiety, depression and dementia. I already found to have more and more episodes of "lost key syndrome" these days.

Scientist have recently found where tinnitus and hearing loss dont coexist it the source can be from nerve damage at the base of the brain. Very important discovery for possible cures and prevention.
I have both hearing loss and tinnitus so I guess this won't help me much. But it is interesting. I do have vertigo which is, as near as anybody can tell, unrelated to my hearing loss. The vertigo is from nerve damage though and I wonder where exactly the damage is. Often nerve damage in one ear can affect hearing and balance. Not so in my case. After about 35 years of vertigo I'm pretty used to it so I no longer worry about it. But I would love to know the base cause, just because I want to know.
Eric

/ Hearing aids and a rant #7  
My vertigo comes from the middle ear hairs breaking off and setting of the remaining middle ear hairs.

/ Hearing aids and a rant #8  
I can relate to all of the above. I have to question the in the ear design? My current Signia's from the VA came without the stabilizer or "concha lock as the VA calls them. No matter the size of my ear piece, they would not stay in my ears. So, the VA tech fitted them with the concha lock and now they stay put.

I don't think that the in the ear design would work for me.

FWIW, I like the rechargable over the batteries. If you don't have to regularly travel, I think it's a better option.

/ Hearing aids and a rant #9  
Chances are, most people who enjoy being around tractors, large trucks, heavy equipment, loud music, etc will develop, or have developed hearing loss and tinnitus. I developed tinnitus back in my late 20's and started wearing HA's around 40. Just imagine how quick this Millennial and Gen Z generations will develop tinnitus and hearing loss aimlessly walking around with earbuds stuck in their ears 24/7, never even being exposed to the things our generation/s was exposed to?