Hearing aids and a rant

/ Hearing aids and a rant #11  
Chances are, most people who enjoy being around tractors, large trucks, heavy equipment, loud music, etc will develop, or have developed hearing loss and tinnitus. I developed tinnitus back in my late 20's and started wearing HA's around 40. Just imagine how quick this Millennial and Gen Z generations will develop tinnitus and hearing loss aimlessly walking around with earbuds stuck in their ears 24/7, never even being exposed to the things our generation/s was exposed to?
Then there are the people driving around with high end audio systems that make the ground shake.

/ Hearing aids and a rant
I get wax buildup in my ears and I use an ear syringe filled with warm water to remove the wax. An ear syringe is just a rubber bulb. Here is a link to one: Amazon.com
Anyway, while taking a shower I get the water as hot as I can comfortably stand, then hold my cupped hand against my already washed torso, and fill the syringe with the water. Then I gently squirt the water into my ears to wash the wax out. It usually takes several syringe fulls but the wax gets warm and comes loose and washes out. The process is painless, at least for me. It may make some folks dizzy. I'm dizzy all the time so I'm used to it and don't find it bothersome.
Eric

/ Hearing aids and a rant #15  
I get wax buildup in my ears and I use an ear syringe filled with warm water to remove the wax. An ear syringe is just a rubber bulb. Here is a link to one: Amazon.com
Anyway, while taking a shower I get the water as hot as I can comfortably stand, then hold my cupped hand against my already washed torso, and fill the syringe with the water. Then I gently squirt the water into my ears to wash the wax out. It usually takes several syringe fulls but the wax gets warm and comes loose and washes out. The process is painless, at least for me. It may make some folks dizzy. I'm dizzy all the time so I'm used to it and don't find it bothersome.
Eric
I understood that water squirted into ear canal should be distilled water so infection has less of a chance to sprout. Just a thought.

/ Hearing aids and a rant
I understood that water squirted into ear canal should be distilled water so infection has less of a chance to sprout. Just a thought.
You raise a good point and I suppose that is indeed a better idea. Even better would be to boil the water first, then let it cool enough to use. And just because I have been using the method I described for about 40 years and have never had an ear infection because of it doesn't mean that it is safe. So do as you please.
Eric

/ Hearing aids and a rant #17  
At my yearly physical I ask my doctor to have one of the cute (female*) nurses clean my ears. Once a year seems to do it.

* These days I need to clarify.

/ Hearing aids and a rant #18  
A friend list hearing in both ears in his forties… it’s life changing for someone in business and very social… right and left brain tumors.

He didn’t take it lying down… learned sign language, married a captioner for deaf, got appointed to the PUC for California relay, etc.

Lip reading works surprisingly well depending on circumstances.

Simple things like hearing your keys drop are not possible… or a night on the town can be isolating but with determination much can be overcome.

/ Hearing aids and a rant #19  
I remember when I was a kid, we used a hammermill in our granary to grind feed for the hogs and it was so loud that my ears would ring for about 10 minutes after the job. It was so loud that you couldn't talk or even yell at somebody else for instructions. My father never wore or said anything about ear protection. Many years later I would occasionally help on the farm and mentioned to him that he should use ear protection when driving his 100 hp open station tractor. He said he needed to hear the equipment to detect any problems.
Of course, he lost most of his hearing and had tinnitus in his later years and had total loss by the time he died at 93.
I now have tinnitus or I tell my wife that I hear crickets in January and she gets tired of the TV being loud. I have resorted to using cc on the TV. I will be getting medicare/insurance soon and hope to find something that will help with hearing treatment.
I am glad that kids now don't have to go through that and can protect their hearing as that wasn't an option for me. Of course kids in the city may lose their hearing or their life from the nightly gang shootings.

/ Hearing aids and a rant #20  
she gets tired of the TV being loud
My solution for loud TV is bluetooth earbuds and a Bluetooth Transmitter Receiver for the TV (mine doesn't have built in bluetooth). And with bluetooth version V plus I can wander all over the house and not drop reception. I've found bluetooth earbuds, highly rated and very good, for about $20 on sale when a new model comes out. Apparently the buying public think last years model lose some "magic".
But hearing aids are an entirely different different level. They use to require a professional to sell them, and that jacked the price up. Now they are relatively inexpensive but it seems to me they are still trying to charge a premium for "magic".
I don't like paying for "magic". I'll wait a bit.

• Good Post
Reactions: jmc