HD box blade?

/ HD box blade? #1  

dustycoyote

Bronze Member
Tractor
none
Hi All,

Looking to buy a heavy duty box blade this coming spring. Seems like there are a lot of options out there.

Looking for a true HD model for a 52 HP compact tractor. Rear tires are 66" so im looking at 72" wide on the box blade. Trying to get the best cost on a really well built unit that I can.
So far it seems that the two best on paper are either the Woods BSM or the heavier duty model from Everything Attachments.

The EA model looks nice and well designed, and is obviously we'll reviewed, but I am thinking that it has benefited from a lot of online popularity and marketing. The woods is heavier overall, and I believe is made of a heavier gauge steel.

Just looking for any guidance between these two, or any suggestions for other brands.

Don't care about brand, just want good quality for as good a price as I can get.

/ HD box blade? #2  
I bought a used Land Pride box blade, I have been very happy with both its ruggedness and performance. The only issue I had was the pair of braces that go up to the top link pin were bent when I got it. I straightened them and added some horizontal bars and all has been well since.

/ HD box blade? #3  
I forget to add, I use it on my 25 and 26 hp Fords. The seller was using it on a 40 hp Ford. He told me several times he buried it and halted his tractor and did zero damage to the box blade.

/ HD box blade? #4  
My 52 hp MX came with a Landpride 72" Gannon with hydraulic rippers. It is a very strong unit that will last the life of the tractor.
I saw the same Landpride scraper box on the Kubota MX5400 at the dealership.

/ HD box blade? #5  
No matter which you pick, if the "side Plates" aren't 1/2" thick, it ain't heavy duty...Mines 84" wide with 1/2 inch side plates, has Cat. 1 and 2 hitches. Couldn't ask for a better unit....BobG in VA

/ HD box blade? #6  
No matter which you pick, if the "side Plates" aren't 1/2" thick, it ain't heavy duty...Mines 84" wide with 1/2 inch side plates, has Cat. 1 and 2 hitches. Couldn't ask for a better unit....BobG in VA
My Terex had 1/2 plate sides... That's not HD. It's mining equipment standards. There is nothing 3/8 plate sides can't handle that a 50-60hp tractor can deliver in my opinion. The added weight does help them dig in... but this is not always a good thing, like in smoothing a gravel drive. Again this is just my experience

/ HD box blade? #7  
My Terex had 1/2 plate sides... That's not HD. It's mining equipment standards. There is nothing 3/8 plate sides can't handle that a 50-60hp tractor can deliver in my opinion. The added weight does help them dig in... but this is not always a good thing, like in smoothing a gravel drive. Again this is just my experience
Well, lets just agree to disagree, I actually did work in a rock quarry, and do know what mining equip really is...to me, 1/2" is HD, not mining standards.

/ HD box blade? #8  
Well, lets just agree to disagree, I actually did work in a rock quarry, and do know what mining equip really is...to me, 1/2" is HD, not mining standards.
Fair enough - most of the people here do not use their tractor to move earth ( my reference to mining was because Terex primarily makes mining equipment) When Terex took over the old MF line (Fermec) due to anti-monopoly enforcement they made the skiploader SUPER duty. It had 1/2 and even 5/8 plate in it's general construction.
The 640 skiploader I owned and operated for 15 yrs was beyond heavy duty. It was an earth moving machine not a farm tractor.

/ HD box blade? #9  
On a tractor that size Id go with a 8 foot box blade. You'll find the 6 footer way too small. I have a 25 year old LandPride that ha served me well

Andy

/ HD box blade? #10  
I would also look on craigslist and facebook marketplace for good used heavy-duty ones. I saw one a month ago that was the real deal heavy duty type like BobG is talking about. The guy lowered the price to 250 and it disappeared. I knew I should have bought it. I have a 72 inch regular duty box blade. I got it with my tractor and it is blue. Not sure what company but probably one of the big 3-point dealers. It works good and has held up but I have to add weight to it to really get any hard core grading done. I would make sure you get one that is at least 1000 pounds. Your 52HP tractor will handle it like it is not even back there.