Haying

/ Haying #51  
Re: Haying (Hobby)

Bird & Cowboydoc,

Probably depends on bale size. I think the 75 hp is probably good enough for 4x4 round as well as the square bales.
For the larger round bales you probably due need a bigger tractor.

I hope to eek by with the 75 hp since the cost of the larger tractors is significantly more.

Fred

/ Haying #52  

Fred, I think you're right (no personal experience to say for sure). The baler I used so much behind that 85hp Oliver is a Gehl that makes bales 5' wide and part of the time I was making 5' diameter bales, part of the time 6' diameter, and never had a lack of power. Of course, the guys I was talking about with the 100-120hp tractors also have air-conditioned cabs on them, and I haven't the foggiest notion of how much additional load that puts on them (or whether it's even enough to consider). And of course, part of the reason for them using tractors that big is because they also use them for pulling some pretty big plows, planters, and mowers.

Bird

/ Haying #53  

Hi ya
sorry i did not see ya post to today i looked up a book or two and here are some base Hps
small square 35-45 hp for run of the mill balers with some needing 70 odd (high out put baler)
mid-big square 100 +hp
rounds 60 hp +
with the bigger balers rounds and squares things like crop cutters ,baling silage ,hill's and even brakeing ya need more hp or in some cases wieght
i know of a guy who had a fixed baler 4x4 with crop cutter knifes behind 90 Hp with doing chewy alfalfa silage he run out of power just before full bale size and it was even worse on hills but doing hay no probs in fact i use to drive a 70 Hp JD with a 4x5 fixed baler and had no probs a MF 35 or around that size (full size not compact)will handle a small square it may not be as fast but will do the job for ya
catch ya
JD Kid

/ Haying #54  

Guys,

I had thought that 75 hp net was a little on the large size but now that I read your feedback, and look at the baler specs, I think its probably the minimum.

Maybe I can get a deal on a 90-100 hp, otherwise, I suspect that the 75 hp will do.

Thanks for the info.

Fred

/ Haying #55  

Hi ya
can ya give me a run down on what ya realy want to do.if only needing bigger Hp for 10% or less of the time i don't think new would be a good deal and damm hard doing ya lawn with 100 hp i'll re read this whole post and look at ya stats and try and work out something for ya
catch ya
JD Kid

/ Haying #56  

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

Of course, the guys I was talking about with the 100-120hp tractors also have air-conditioned cabs on them, and I haven't the foggiest notion of how much additional load that puts on them (or whether it's even enough to consider).

<hr></blockquote>

I seem to remember automotive air conditioners using between 5 and 10 hp.

/ Haying #57  

Yeah, Fractal, I know about the cars, and suppose it would be similar on a diesel tractor, but don't really know.

Bird