Haying

/ Haying
Re: Haying (Hobby)

I just looked at the numbers for that Purdue Univ. site and I don't think they are very accurate. For my county they only show 3.1 tons per acre. I know probably half of the hay farmers in the county and they all get 5-6 ton per acre. Plus I'd like to know how they figure those estimates out as my stats and others I know aren't even recorded. The way that those estimates are recorded is if you are involved in govt. programs and you are mandated to fill out every little detail on every single piece of ground that you own even if it has nothing to do with the ground that you have in a govt. program. I was pretty upset this last year when I bought that ground that was in crp. I had to give them copies of the deeds of everything that I owned, what my crop production was for the last few years, income statements, how many horses and cattle I had, etc. Basically they wanted to know everything that I had to do with agriculture. I told them no way I was giving them all that. I finally had to give them the copies of deeds to other property I owned but that was all. That's why there is no way I would get mixed up in govt. programs if I had a choice.

18-35034-TRACTO~1.GIF

/ Haying #32  

Yep, Richard, I wouldn't put much faith in their statistics. Like you said, a lot of folks' statistics are not included, and I think (can't say for sure) that the ones that are included are from the farmers who are in those government programs and those farmers don't always provide accurate numbers. I know of one guy in the hay business who reports a great deal less than he actually produces in order to get bigger government subsidies.

Bird

/ Haying #33  

Bird and cowboydoc...

Do you think the figures are good for comparative purposes, i.e., while the absolute production numbers are inaccurate, it's valid to compare the production of one county to another?

tractor.gif

/ Haying

Mike,
I really don't think they are accurate at all. I wouldn't base anything I did off of them anyway. Go ask around from the guys that are farming there and then you will get your true numbers. I mean if Fred is saying his area is rocky and can't even grow alfalfa and gets 2.6 ton per acre and we have some of the best soil in the country here and only get 3.1 ton per acre? I wouldn't say those stats are worth anything.

18-35034-TRACTO~1.GIF

/ Haying #35  

Figures good for comparison purposes? Maybe, but like Richard, I wouldn't count on them to be good for anything.

Bird

/ Haying #36  

Richard,
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

I mean if Fred is saying his area is rocky and can't even grow alfalfa and gets 2.6 ton per acre and we have some of the best soil in the country here and only get 3.1 ton per acre? I wouldn't say those stats are worth anything.

<hr></blockquote>

Thats a good point. I fear you are probably right, this data may be of marginal value. I tracked it down because I was trying to get some idea of the yield for my area.

However, is it not possible that the soil would grow most grasses well but not alfalfa? After all alfalfa has a much deaper root system than any other grass, which is why it does not work well in rocky soil. Also this is why it grows so well in iowa, since your soil is so deep and rich.

Also I guess alot of the economics depends on how long the equipment lasts in a useful condition. Clearly if you can spread the cost of the machines over say 10-15 years then its alot more attractive than if it only works well for 4-5 years. I would think the rake and cutter would last a very long time. As you already mentioned the bailer will likely develop problems first.

How long do you think a square bailer is good for, before it becomes a hasel due to frequent breakdown?

Fred

/ Haying #37  

Mark,

This link may help:
http://www.extension.iastate.edu/feci/Leasing/

I would caution you that you need to be careful who you lease it to. If some one comes along and over grazes your land in an extreme way it may take along time to come back. Since the leasee does not own the land, I fear their is a tendency not to take as good care of it as you would.

Fred

/ Haying #38  

Hi ya
alfalfa on rocky ground well it will only put it's roots down as far as it can,grapes are the same both hate clay .... alfalfa is more upset by water (too much and poor drainage) it loves lime (higher Ph) and needs for fulltime haying a good fret program to put back what it takes away ..we grew it in places grass would not live longer than the frist dry summer it is a tougher plant than most people think but like i said it hates wet feet a drink or 2 ok but swamp don't even think of planting there ....ok seeing we are on hay anyone got /seen/used a claas markant65 baler??i'm looking at one and need a bit of feed back also anyone seen a thing called a bale bandit it ties bales in to lots of 21 with metal bands kinda makes small's in to bigs for trucking etc etc but ya can cut the bands to feed out one small at a time
oh yea last thing how long will a baler last kinda like a bit of string .looked after a long time treated like crap a few years .biggest thing is getting a good one and also one that still has a parts back up other thing is knowing someone of the brick baler school who can help ya out when things go wrong
catch ya
JD Kid

/ Haying #40  

Hi ya
the urls ya posted the 2nd one is what we call a flat8 (as it leaves 8 bales 4x2)not to pricey but ya got to get the grab too they did not show theres but pic a big flat bed with cats claws that grab the bales i'll do some surfing and see if i can find one ...as for alfalfa try surfing for growing alfalfa or alfalfa hay may come up with more info for ya
catch ya
JD Kid